Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:58 am

Poll: On average, which pattern takes fewer coin tosses?
This poll is closed.
They'll happen equally fast, on average.
78.57%
11 78.57%
Tails, Heads, Tails takes fewer tosses.
0%
0 0%
Tails, Heads, Heads takes fewer tosses.
14.29%
2 14.29%
I can't figure it out.
7.14%
1 7.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coin Flipping Poll
Coin Flipping Poll
Imagine there's a completely random event with two outcomes, say flipping a coin. Each flip has an equal probability of landing heads or tails. Now imagine that we’re interested in seeing how long it takes to get a certain sequence of outcomes.

Pattern 1: Tails, Heads, Tails

Pattern 2: Tails, Heads, Heads

Now, suppose we flip a coin until Pattern 1 is reached, note how many coin flips it took, and then we repeat the process many times and average how many flips it takes to get a tails-heads-tails sequence. After that, we go through the same process to see how many flips it takes to get Pattern 2, a tails-heads-heads sequence.

So, on average, which pattern takes fewer coin tosses?
RE: Coin Flipping Poll
statistically, there isn't a difference.
Why would there be much of a difference? The odds of heads or tails is always 50/50.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I said equally in the poll, but I want to change it to pattern 2
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
yeah... there shouldn't be a difference in the likelihood any pattern will arise.
I'm keeping my mouth shut. You've all either done very well or very badly, and that's all I'm saying till we get more results.
Tails, heads, heads would happen faster. I'll bet two blue chips and one red chip.
It's a trick question, with 'Tails, Heads, Heads' You only have to flip the coin once, then just drop it twice for heads.
It's not a trick question. The question stated that you flip the coin until each pattern is reached. There are no tricks in this question; you do the flips and work out the average number of flips needed to get to each pattern.
I put THH.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poll: You're in the Prisoner's Dilemma. shadow 35 4037 November 25, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Unfair Coin Flip Tiberius 103 9796 September 30, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Bit flipping SteelCurtain 41 9078 April 26, 2016 at 9:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  The "classic" counterfiet coin puzzle jvwert 18 8717 December 7, 2010 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13