Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:49 am

Poll: You're in the Prisoner's Dilemma, as explained in the post below. What do you do?
This poll is closed.
Testify
23.53%
4 23.53%
Stay silent
76.47%
13 76.47%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: You're in the Prisoner's Dilemma.
Poll: You're in the Prisoner's Dilemma.
You and your partner in crime from AF have had a good run robbing girl scouts of their cookies, but unfortunately you've both been arrested and are being interrogated by the police. You have no way to communicate with your partner in crime. The cops don't have enough evidence to convict either you or your partner of the serious charge of cookie theft unless there is a testimony against you. However, they do have enough evidence to get you for the lesser crime of loitering with intent to steal cookies, if they so choose. Your partner is in the same situation.

The cops offer you a deal, and you have 2 options: either testify against your partner, or remain silent.
  • If you and your partner both take the deal and testify against each other, you both get 2 years in prison.
  • If one of you testifies against the other, the one who testifies gets to walk (0 years in prison). However, the one convicted will get 3 years in prison.
  • If both of you remain silent, you both get 1 year in prison.
People like to discuss this problem ad infintum, but there's no time for that until you've made your decision. You're in the prisoner's dilemma right now.

What do you do?

Please answer the poll before discussing or reading what others would do in this situation. I want to see how people answer this without communicating with each other about strategy, as the classic problem specifies! This way we can also get an idea of whether we chose right or not as individuals.

Once you've answered feel free to discuss the problem.
RE: Poll: You're in the Prisoner's Dilemma.
Stay silent. I won't have to feel horrible about myself for turning on my partner, and I would trust my partner not to turn me in either.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I wouldn't want to be the guy that sent my partner down the river, while he loyally remained silent. I'd keep quiet. Of course I'd expect the cops to say my partner was singing like a bird, and tell my partner I was doing the same, but I can't help that. Just stay silent, and hope for the best.

I do have to take into consideration that if I testify, and he doesn't, he's still getting out in three years. And everyone we know that's in the business knows me for a snitch that can't be worked with. I sit in there for three years, and I'm basically a martyr. Or a schmuck, depending on what other people think.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 24, 2017 at 4:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Stay silent. I won't have to feel horrible about myself for turning on my partner, and I would trust my partner not to turn me in either.

So far I'm pretty glad with these results because I would do the same! In this kind of situation I would assume goodwill from both parties.

That being said, it would heavily depend who my partner is. Someone like my sister there would be zero question in my mind that we'd both stay silent. If I were paired with someone who I though was selfish, though, I might choose to betray them. I was reading about this and technically the optimal strategy, mathematically, is to betray your partner every time. But IRL when they've studied this people are naturally more prone to cooperating.

(November 24, 2017 at 4:59 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I do have to take into consideration that if I testify, and he doesn't, he's still getting out in three years. And everyone we know that's in the business knows me for a snitch that can't be worked with. I sit in there for three years, and I'm basically a martyr. Or a schmuck, depending on what other people think.

Oh, I believe one assumption of the problem is supposed to be that there is no way for the person to retaliate or for there to be any punishment / impact on reputation for what you choose.
We are talking about crime here, not war. I don't care if it is even family, the people that love and value you would never ask you to commit a crime.

Even in war, it is easy to say what someone would do in speculating, in reality we are a far more messy and complex species.
(November 24, 2017 at 5:05 pm)shadow Wrote:
(November 24, 2017 at 4:59 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I do have to take into consideration that if I testify, and he doesn't, he's still getting out in three years. And everyone we know that's in the business knows me for a snitch that can't be worked with. I sit in there for three years, and I'm basically a martyr. Or a schmuck, depending on what other people think.

Oh, I believe one assumption of the problem is supposed to be that there is no way for the person to retaliate or for there to be any punishment / impact on reputation for what you choose.

Well, I'd still choose to keep quiet. I'm just a good guy like that. Though I have been taken advantage of for being gullible before, at least that's not something I have to have on my conscience.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Snitches get stitches, Shadow.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 24, 2017 at 6:18 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Snitches get stitches, Shadow.  Wink

Sure, especially when I don't make the poll anonymous Big Grin
I see a real world problem in scenario 2.

"If one of you testifies against the other, the one who testifies gets to walk (0 years in prison). However, the one convicted will get 3 years in prison."

Is it not likely the three year guy will now change his testimony and now both of them are heading for the nick? Or is this angle not part of the dilemma.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(November 24, 2017 at 7:07 pm)Succubus Wrote: I see a real world problem  in scenario 2.

"If one of you testifies against the other, the one who testifies gets to walk (0 years in prison). However, the one convicted will get 3 years in prison."

Is it not likely the three year guy will now change his testimony and now both of them are heading for the nick? Or is this angle not part of the dilemma.

No, you can't change your testimony. The whole point is that you have to make the decision without knowing what the other person is going to choose, and you're not able to respond to their choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question The 100 Prisoner's problem Aractus 14 3608 February 22, 2016 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Aractus
  New Take on the Prisoner's Dilemma Categories+Sheaves 0 2144 August 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  Coin Flipping Poll Tiberius 15 5198 April 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Violet