Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merely a Good Start
Merely a Good Start
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/presiden...rceration/

Quote:President Obama commutes non-violent drug sentences in move to reduce mass incarceration

Quote:In an effort to pare down the massive number of people serving long prison sentences for non-violent, drug-related offenses, President Barack Obama will free dozens of federal prisoners in the coming weeks, the New York Times reports.
While the president is expected to commute the sentences of a rough total of 80 people soon, it’s just a small fraction of the 30,000 prisoners who applied for clemency. But it’s part of a broader move to correct what many agree to be a national pattern of gross over-sentencing, thanks to years of “tough on crime” politicians who instituted mandatory minimum sentencing, according to the Times.
The United States is the world’s largest jailer, according to statistics from the American Civil Liberties Union. With just 5 percent of the world’s population, the US has 25 percent of the world’s prison population. Since 1970, the US prison population has shot up 700 percent.
The crisis has been attributed to the War on Drugs, which is now broadly seen as a failure, and mandatory minimum sentencing, according to Business Insider.

Expect 'Murrica to scream bloody murder.
RE: Merely a Good Start
What do you expect to happen with private prison companies being a huge business? It's the new slave trade, funding a lot of politicians.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
This is very good news and a long time coming. Watching the fallout should be interesting.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Funny you mentioned that, Ab.  This is going on right now here in Errorzona.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hundr...t-32216623

Quote:Hundreds of Arizona Inmates to Be Moved Following Riot

Quote:The prison holds about 3,500 minimum- and medium-security inmates and is operated by Centerville, Utah-based Management and Training Corp. The injured officers work for the company, which also operates prisons in seven other states.

And, of course.....

Quote:Arizona houses thousands of inmates in private prisons, and the industry has come under fire for its large donations to Republican politicians.

But we all knew that without reading to the end.
I wish NZ would follow suit - drug laws here are fucking draconian.  It wasn't long ago that a 19 years old was caught with 2 joints in his pocket.  He wasn't dealing, wasn't producing, had no paraphernalia - and got fined $500 and 3 months in the nick.

I don't smoke weed (these days), but you'd have a hard time convincing me that a kid walking around with two joints is enough of a threat to my safety that he deserves to be locked up.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 5, 2015 at 4:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I wish NZ would follow suit - drug laws here are fucking draconian.

Boru

Drug laws, at least when it comes to canabis are pretty much dead law here in Austria. At least when it comes to possession. There was hardly anyone charged for possessing anyway and now they reduced the penalty even further to just some mandatory courses on health and safety when you are caught.

So, no rap sheet and certainly no prison time.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Good for Obama. I hope he expands the program to release more nonviolent drug users.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I would call 80 out of 30,000 hardly a start at all.

And why the fuck hasn't my home state released any non-violent prisoners who are only there for pot?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 5, 2015 at 3:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/presiden...rceration/

Quote:President Obama commutes non-violent drug sentences in move to reduce mass incarceration

Quote:In an effort to pare down the massive number of people serving long prison sentences for non-violent, drug-related offenses, President Barack Obama will free dozens of federal prisoners in the coming weeks, the New York Times reports.
While the president is expected to commute the sentences of a rough total of 80 people soon, it’s just a small fraction of the 30,000 prisoners who applied for clemency. But it’s part of a broader move to correct what many agree to be a national pattern of gross over-sentencing, thanks to years of “tough on crime” politicians who instituted mandatory minimum sentencing, according to the Times.
The United States is the world’s largest jailer, according to statistics from the American Civil Liberties Union. With just 5 percent of the world’s population, the US has 25 percent of the world’s prison population. Since 1970, the US prison population has shot up 700 percent.
The crisis has been attributed to the War on Drugs, which is now broadly seen as a failure, and mandatory minimum sentencing, according to Business Insider.

Expect 'Murrica to scream bloody murder.

Time for thinkers to shoulder up and explain it to the masses. It's a long-overdue move.

(July 5, 2015 at 5:48 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: I would call 80 out of 30,000 hardly a start at all.

And why the fuck hasn't my home state released any non-violent prisoners who are only there for pot?

The longest journey begins with the first step.

Why don't you write your governor and ask?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 956 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  As Economy Crashes, Democracts Finally Start To Take Impeactment Seriously. ReptilianPeon 28 1906 September 22, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Start a war, save your Presidency? Jehanne 10 1836 May 12, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  It's A Start Minimalist 15 2382 November 17, 2017 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Liberterians: Out of politics or fresh start? Something completely different 1 1043 October 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander? A Theist 24 7099 December 29, 2012 at 10:54 am
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Then They Should Damn Well Start! Minimalist 1 1189 November 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Forget Kony, Start MASTURBATING! theVOID 42 17959 March 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: THWOTH