Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Month Without Faith - Thank you.
One Month Without Faith - Thank you.
The title is misleading.  Sorry.  Today, I celebrate my one month anniversary of giving up trying to have faith.  I, for the last month, have been living as an agnostic free of prayer, church attendance, and, the constant discussion that once consumed me, defending a god I found detestable even on my "best" days.  I'm still finding it difficult to keep the same friends I had in the Church because they always want to talk about faith, but some of them are slowly realizing that I'd rather talk about other things.  My wife (who agrees with me most of the time) still attends, but it's because our entire life was wrapped up in the Church.  She said to me the other night in the kitchen when I showed her the "Pastafarians" YouTube video that she feels so stupid for holding similar beliefs.  For the first time in a very fulfilled life, I feel like I'm winning.  I feel like I'm on the bow of Magellan's ship calling out the course.  Free of hell, free of an eternal watchful "father", free of pointless scriptural study... I am happy and hopeful to help those who I can, learn as much as I can, and enjoy my life with the things I can now take credit for having (rather than thanking a brutal dictator in the sky for pretending to give me the bounty of *my* hard work).

I am happy. Big Grin

I'm toasting you guys for being supportive and hope that whatever your part in existence is right now, that it's bringing you happiness.

Thanks, guys/gals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qcJ3nj6y7I
RE: One Month Without Faith - Thank you.
Well done.

Congratulations.
Dying to live, living to die.
Happy for ya!

Here's to a continued journey of self discovery and reality!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Sounds like a happy story.

Christian to Pastafarian? Nothing wrong with that, at all.

I predict it will get even better from here on out.
(July 16, 2015 at 6:40 pm)Spacetime Wrote: The title is misleading.  Sorry.  Today, I celebrate my one month anniversary of giving up trying to have faith.  I, for the last month, have been living as an agnostic free of prayer, church attendance, and, the constant discussion that once consumed me, defending a god I found detestable even on my "best" days.  I'm still finding it difficult to keep the same friends I had in the Church because they always want to talk about faith, but some of them are slowly realizing that I'd rather talk about other things.  My wife (who agrees with me most of the time) still attends, but it's because our entire life was wrapped up in the Church.  She said to me the other night in the kitchen when I showed her the "Pastafarians" YouTube video that she feels so stupid for holding similar beliefs.  For the first time in a very fulfilled life, I feel like I'm winning.  I feel like I'm on the bow of Magellan's ship calling out the course.  Free of hell, free of an eternal watchful "father", free of pointless scriptural study... I am happy and hopeful to help those who I can, learn as much as I can, and enjoy my life with the things I can now take credit for having (rather than thanking a brutal dictator in the sky for pretending to give me the bounty of *my* hard work).

I am happy. Big Grin

I'm toasting you guys for being supportive and hope that whatever your part in existence is right now, that it's bringing you happiness.

Thanks, guys/gals.

I have a question or two about being "pastafarian".

According to the accounts I've read, the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) seems to interact quite a bit with the natural universe. For example, I read that gravity is really nothing more than the FSM's "noodly appendages" pushing people down. Has this been verified in any way by science? After all, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I'm also told that people are taller today than they were in the past due to the fact that the population has grown so much that the FSM is no longer able to hold them down as well as it did before. Doesn't this suggest that the FSM is not omnipotent? A real God would not be limited in power or ability.

The argument from parody for the FSM is this:

1. Our quasi-religion, Pastafarianism, is silly and unfounded and therefore false.
2. Other religions are just as silly and unfounded as our religion.
3. Therefore, other religions are false.

Premise one is granted. Therefore, the real issue is whether Christianity is just as silly and unfounded as Pastafarianism.

Is it?

Well, begin with this question: Did Jesus Exist?
Who cares.

Congrats, Spacetime! May you be touched by his noodly appendage.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Congrats, Spacetime.  Randy, up there, gives you an excellent example of a humorless fuck who thinks fairy tales are real.  He's got a sorry existence. You're on your way to a better mental place.
(July 16, 2015 at 8:41 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: I have a question or two about being "pastafarian".

According to the accounts I've read, the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) seems to interact quite a bit with the natural universe. For example, I read that gravity is really nothing more than the FSM's "noodly appendages" pushing people down. Has this been verified in any way by science? After all, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I'm also told that people are taller today than they were in the past due to the fact that the population has grown so much that the FSM is no longer able to hold them down as well as it did before. Doesn't this suggest that the FSM is not omnipotent? A real God would not be limited in power or ability.

The argument from parody for the FSM is this:

1. Our quasi-religion, Pastafarianism, is silly and unfounded and therefore false.
2. Other religions are just as silly and unfounded as our religion.
3. Therefore, other religions are false.

Premise one is granted. Therefore, the real issue is whether Christianity is just as silly and unfounded as Pastafarianism.

Is it?

Well, begin with this question: Did Jesus Exist?

Randy,

I would love to entertain whatever it is you just typed (I didn't read any of it) except that I'm waiting on your reply to my inquiry in my original thread, which you agreed to answer, but have not. You asked for time to give it some consideration, but have yet to address it. I would love to discuss other topics, except that I've made a decision not to engage you until that inquiry (which you agreed to) is met with earnest.

Thanks,
SpaceTime
Spacetime your experience sounds a lot like mine. Although I never had any close church going friends. What is that like? Do they talk down to you or are they just as before?
Congratulations and well done!

Ignore Randy, he is delusional (fantasy and grandeur). The more you engage him the deeper his delusions become.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thank God!" HappyHumanist 18 7184 October 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Exiting the Faith KnockEmOuttt 14 5379 July 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: KnockEmOuttt
  Faith no more Kayenneh 5 2478 May 14, 2011 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
Lightbulb I actually believed this bullshit without being indoctrinated! Emporion 12 4245 March 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Emporion