Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking to children about death
How does everyone deal with talking to their children about death. I don't have any yet, but I think about this. It's easy to resort to the loving guy in the sky and angels and all that but how do you deal with it more realistically?
RE: Talking to children about death
I recommend that you read a few articles at links that pop up near the top of an internet search for "talking with children about death" (without the quotation marks).

For example:

http://www.webmd.com/palliative-care/tal...bout_death

http://www.hospicenet.org/html/talking.html

http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/fe...death.html

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice.../death.htm

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I was raised on a farm.  We had pets die, farm animals died, crops would die in a drought or hail.  When my grandfather passed away I was 9 years old, I went to the funeral.  I put it all together without, apparently, getting much verbal input from the grownups around me. (as far as I recall)

The big 'clincher' for me inre to the atheism angle would have been someone pointing out the nature of my consciousness and existence in the year 1,000,000 BC is going to be identical to my experience in the year 1,000,000 AD.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Everything that lives also dies. Everything that is living depends on things that died. It's the circle of life.

If you want to show a child an example of death just explain where the hotdog he or she is eating came from.
http://youtu.be/rAKoa9cm0-U
(July 21, 2015 at 10:16 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: http://youtu.be/rAKoa9cm0-U
Hah[emoji106] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
I don't have any children, but I remember very well how I was introduced to the concept of death. It was at the height of the Vietnam war when even the European news were full of casualty lists and the news reader went on and on about numbers of deads. So I kept asking my parents and still being not much more than a very small child, they were evasive. Which made me even more curious and mystified the concept.

Today I think, my parent's approach wasn't the best.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Although I'm comfortable with the nothing after death premise and accept it as the logical conclusion rather than supernatural/life after death stories, I do find myself feeling uncomfortable talking about it with my kids as I'm sure most atheist parents do. I am however, very comfortable with the fact that these difficult conversations now are, by many magnitudes, better for them as they mature rather than picking a religious based eternal life scenario to comfort them.

At 7,8,9 or 10 years old it's quite a bitter pill to swallow. My 12 yo son appears to take it quite matter of fact though so who knows what goes on in young minds.
I think it's best to address it as a matter of acceptance. Death is simply a part of life, an important part, it gives people motivation to do something positive while they still live and not put it off.

It's hard to combat the pretty lies of religion when they can make stuff up and tell people that they can live forever in a happy place after they die.
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
"Daddy, where did orange cat go""

-To the quarry,  sweetheart, same place as the truck that hit him.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ken Ham hurts children, watch Manowar 4 1169 October 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12916 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  atheism and children Catholic_Lady 568 82712 September 6, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Will you raise your children as Atheists? Kloud 54 10597 December 20, 2014 at 4:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Explaining death to children. Intimae_Hasta 25 5979 July 10, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  What is C.S:Lewis talking about? tor 3 1070 March 28, 2014 at 4:18 am
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  How will you explain to your children... dimaniac 61 19575 September 17, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Teaching Reason (to Children) Bad Writer 61 17091 July 16, 2013 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Fruity
  The atheists want your children (according to K. Ham) L.A.F. 29 12963 May 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Men & children killed & dismembered by an atheist. WinterHold 90 34923 February 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist