Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview with an Atheist
Interview with an Atheist
This video is from 2013, so many of you have probably already watched. I had not, so I'm posting it with that in mind. I'm talking to theists and atheists alike. It may be hyperbole to call this video amazing, so I'll just call it...kind of amazing.

I've never heard of Niel Carter before watching this video, so I don't know if he's gotten much exposure since this, but he deserves it. He's an atheist, and he's not a scientists, he's not a biologist, he's not a philosopher, he's not a logician. This conversation isn't a debate. It's ...a conversation. I like our atheist heroes, like Hitch, Dawkins, and Harris, but this guy is unlike any of them. And I like it. We (humans) need more of this guy and less of David Silverman.

Much of what he talks about is what my experience has been; maybe not my online experience, but my real world experience. His non-anti-theist approach, I think, will be the majority of what you'll see once atheism makes the leap from being a predominantly online community to a real world community (talking mainly about the States). Which isn't to say the community is largely anti-theistic now, but that the ratio of non-anti-theist to anti-theist will tip that way.

[youtube]7hzHSA7pSWc[/youtube]

And kudos to the religious chap.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
RE: Interview with an Atheist
(July 23, 2015 at 7:02 pm)Exian Wrote: I like our atheist heroes, like Hitch, Dawkins, and Harris, but this guy is unlike any of them.

Why are they supposed to be heroes? Certainly not ours, since I for one don't see them that way. Especially when it comes to Harris.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I knew that part would get contention, but I was too distracted at the time to word it the way I meant it. Maybe "Now, I like Hitch, Dawkins, and Harris as much as the next guy", as if to say there's nothing wrong with them...but. I brought them up to point out the difference between them and Neil, and I called them our heroes as a tongue and cheek thing, I guess. Just because that tends to be the popular misconception and this video deals largely with dispelling the many misconceptions people have about atheists.

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(July 23, 2015 at 7:23 pm)Exian Wrote: I brought them up to point out the difference between them and Neil, and I called them our heroes as a tongue and cheek thing, I guess. Just because that tends to be the popular misconception and this video deals largely with dispelling the many misconceptions people have about atheists.

Yeah, but it's bound to create yet another misunderstanding about us being a homogenous group having our leaders. I for one don't want to be associated with Harris. Not even superficially. I've got no problem with Dawkins, but I know too little about Hitch to care one way or the other.
Yeah, you're right. I should have taken a second to rethink my words like I normally do, but, alas, I got impatient. Kids were getting in trouble in the house hold and I hit send.

I have a place in my heart for all three of them, but in reality, I relate very little. I find myself enjoying their work, and I'm even comfortable with disagreeing with them, but the man in this video is more my speed on all levels. I would prefer to see more of the likes of Neil.

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(July 23, 2015 at 7:35 pm)Exian Wrote: I find myself enjoying their work, and I'm even comfortable with disagreeing with them, but the man in this video is more my speed on all levels. I would prefer to see more of the likes of Neil.

These guys usually are, since they didn't turn atheism into a profession.

I never read anything by Harris, Dawkins or Hitchens. I'm not interested in atheism being explained to me, since I already reached that point under my own steam. The reason why I like Dawkins isn't so much his atheism but his usual tongue in cheek attitude. The reasons why I dislike Harris are his political essays, his taking himself to seriously and his Ivory Tower attitude that's akin to preaching to the quire. Also he's too much of a missionary for my liking. And I gladly extend my general contempt of missionaries to atheists as well, if the shoe fits.
Is it weird that I've never read Hitchens, Dawkins, et al., and I don't really have a desire to?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(July 24, 2015 at 12:25 am)KevinM1 Wrote: Is it weird that I've never read Hitchens, Dawkins, et al., and I don't really have a desire to?

Forget their 'atheist' tomes; read them for their expertise. 

Dawkins: The Selfish Gene, The Blind Wathcmaker, The River Out of Eden

Hitchens: Everything besides "God Is Not Great". Hitchens was truly the master orator of our time and left no stone un-turned nor its underbelly left unexamined.
(July 24, 2015 at 12:25 am)KevinM1 Wrote: Is it weird that I've never read Hitchens, Dawkins, et al., and I don't really have a desire to?

Forget their 'atheist' tomes; read them for their expertise. 

Dawkins: The Selfish Gene, The Blind Wathcmaker, The River Out of Eden

Hitchens: Everything besides "God Is Not Great". Hitchens was truly the master orator of our time and left no stone un-turned nor its underbelly left unexamined.
(July 23, 2015 at 7:02 pm)Exian Wrote: Much of what he talks about is what my experience has been; maybe not my online experience, but my real world experience.

Thanks for sharing this. The guy is easy to listen to and he does a good job explaining his side without coming off as patronizing or insulting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Grad student seeking atheist to interview brookelauren25 97 6505 February 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Interview an Atheist Rader052612 18 2706 December 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  The Ken "JNE" Humphreys interview Cyberman 1 1221 August 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Had an interview this morning... Mr. Moncrieff 55 10144 March 7, 2014 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Carl Sagans Last interview warning Gooders1002 1 1507 December 31, 2013 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Belac Enrobso
  Jesus Never Existed: Ken Humphreys Interview Gooders1002 0 1685 April 30, 2013 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Interview with a 14 year old Atheist. TheHunterCook 5 2415 January 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Hitchens interview with Steve Kroft orogenicman 2 1852 December 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  My Virginia Pilot Interview reverendjeremiah 8 2833 June 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  CNN Hitchens Cancer Interview yuriythebest 20 9994 August 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates