Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Virginia Pilot Interview
My Virginia Pilot Interview
http://hamptonroads.com/node/149181

Yes, this is the newspaper article I have told many of you about. My name is Jeremy Martin, and I came out as an atheist on the front page of the local newspaper..and I never thought he would have me as the initial paragraph to the article. I was flattered. The reporter, Steve Veigh, spoke with me on the phone for a good hour and a half a few days after the interview and basically gave me PLENTY of time to say what I wanted to say. It was rather nice actually. I was working for the Shipyard the day they released this article. As I walked in to the break room I was the BIG talk of the job...I walked into the room completely unaware that I was headline news for that morning. My boss showed me the newspaper. Let me tell you that I have performed in front of hundreds of people playing music or doing internet radio and believe me when I tell you; That was the first time I have ever blushed. The reaction was a bit mixed, but not negative. Or at least not OPENLY negative.

Most atheists stay in the closet. Some bold atheists come out in public...

...an atheist with brass balls comes out on the front page of the morning news!

Wink

P.S. - I was a moderator of that "FAVA" forum
RE: My Virginia Pilot Interview
Here is one of the comments about me on the site

Quote:Hmm. Joe Schmoe, a regular guy (picture of a regular guy) who works as a plumber (trade we can all identify with), and used to attend church (he has reformed), now says religious persons are taking away his basic rights and freedoms (appealing to our sense of fairness), after what he says an atmosphere of religiosity has caused so many problems in the world (the real point the liberal press wants to drive home).

This story is one example of how the media subtely normalizes atheism, targets organized religion, baiting specifically Christians, in order to use the emotionally volatile notion of hell to bastardize Christianity. It's insidious and evil and it's why the Pilot and other traditional media have lost readership.

This is the same play the media has successfully used over the years to normalize homosexuality and abortion.

Wake up America - to the media's brainwashing party. Don't allow your values to be compromised by the slow, deliberate onslaught of propaganda.

Yeah, nice of you to use me as the "conspiracy theory" of the day. I dont exist. The "liberal media" made me up to spook you into atheism.
haha yes there is no real such thing as an atheist.. only uneducated "lost" souls. these ppl need to find in our words and actions, reason... we dont believe because we weren't taught/brain washed or just grew up with a mind of our own.. not because we dont know what we know. good work though! 1-0 atheism
You live in Virginia? You poor soul...

I never heard about this until now Undecided Does that make me underinformed? Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I sympathize with your happiness even though this is not a good news for us believers. Undecided
You're uninformed. I read that paper (not at all regularly). I dind't know you were that close to me Rev. I'm in Hampton. Are you on the usermap? We're planning an even this weekend and one of the beaches. I might have to get up with those VA atheists communities the article lists and plan a visit.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 9, 2011 at 5:09 am)tackattack Wrote: You're uninformed. I read that paper (not at all regularly). I dind't know you were that close to me Rev. I'm in Hampton. Are you on the usermap? We're planning an even this weekend and one of the beaches. I might have to get up with those VA atheists communities the article lists and plan a visit.

Thank goodness I am.

The underinformed uninformed women don't wear a uniform.

[Image: why_so_mean.jpg]

Levitate

And I mourn for you too... since you live somewhere within 500 Base Galactic Units (BGU or 'Bugs') of Virginia.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Wow, there are a bunch of real "winners" there in that comment thread.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(June 9, 2011 at 1:46 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: You live in Virginia? You poor soul...

I never heard about this until now Undecided Does that make me underinformed? Undecided

No, it doesnt. You must not have been on the few threads I have mentioned it on.
(June 9, 2011 at 5:09 am)tackattack Wrote: You're uninformed. I read that paper (not at all regularly). I dind't know you were that close to me Rev. I'm in Hampton. Are you on the usermap? We're planning an even this weekend and one of the beaches. I might have to get up with those VA atheists communities the article lists and plan a visit.

I grew up in South Norfolk. I currently live near Moyock in NC. I do my work in Va. in Norfolk at the Staff college (NATO) near the NOB. As far as the group, it mostly disbanded when a new moderator was elected. She eventually convinced the owner of the group to put her in charge. She then started pushing her Veganism, she started banning people who would make crude jokes (the kind I like), and UNmoderated me and Matt (the other guy in the article) so that she could consolidate the new members we gained after the news article.

What pisses me off the most, is during the interview, she insisted that she remain anonymous, but also insisted that her words be printed. Near the end of me and Matt's stay in the group, we sent her a mutual message to the tune of: "We spent hundreds of hours bulding, advertising, and running this group. I have personally invested money to have guest speakers (Yes, we paid Ellery Schempp to fly over here, paid for advertising space, etc.. to Va and give a Public forum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellery_Schempp He absolutely LOVED Jesus Christ Arcade) We have personally put our heads on the public cutting block to advertise this group and get the message of atheism on the front page, something you refused to have the courage to do, and even now we are receiving death threats for doing so.. and now since you have the benefits of our labor you seek to push us out and mold the group to your personal ideals and tastes. This WAS a freethought group, that is, before you were put in charge. ME and Matt personally consider you to be a pompous bitch, and we will be leaving to join another group"

When we left. 2/3 of the group left with us. We are all now on Facebook, and we no longer have a group title we meet under.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Grad student seeking atheist to interview brookelauren25 97 6497 February 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Interview an Atheist Rader052612 18 2700 December 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Interview with an Atheist Exian 11 4457 July 24, 2015 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  The Ken "JNE" Humphreys interview Cyberman 1 1221 August 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Had an interview this morning... Mr. Moncrieff 55 10144 March 7, 2014 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Carl Sagans Last interview warning Gooders1002 1 1507 December 31, 2013 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Belac Enrobso
  Jesus Never Existed: Ken Humphreys Interview Gooders1002 0 1685 April 30, 2013 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Interview with a 14 year old Atheist. TheHunterCook 5 2415 January 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Hitchens interview with Steve Kroft orogenicman 2 1851 December 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Virginia Ironside on abortion and euthanasia The Omnissiunt One 18 6541 October 10, 2010 at 8:02 am
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One