Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battling my demons
Battling my demons
Even though I deconverted some time ago, I still have days when the fire and brimstone comes back to haunt me. Catholicism really is one bitch of a virus. Takes a lot of time to get over. Since I've been on here I'm making progress though. This is the first time that it's happened when I didn't break down or start praying. Five days, no kool aid consumed.

Suck it, Jesus.

You stupid fucking cunt.

I love you guys. Thanks for being here /sappy
RE: Battling my demons
Best post I've read in a while.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Can't say I share your feelings. There's one thing about that fire and brimstone story that didn't make sense to me even when I was a child. The devil is recruiting according to their stories, so what's his motif to play god's jailer and torturer? Why should he play god's ball?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
That's their basic form of control: fear.

I know people who even after years of being away from Catholicism still have that fear at the back of their mind.

Hell, I still do occasionally and I've been clean 17 years. My brother is the same, though he gave up the religion fairly recently after seeing what religion has done to Afghanistan.

Stay strong. And ignore the types who, even here, will see this as a sign to jump on you with crap like "that's god letting you know he's real".
Dying to live, living to die.
Stay strong, Vic. You're a rockstar, and this shit will get easier as time goes on.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
This is why every religion's alters must be ground down into plowshares. Those who will not de-convert must be enslaved or butchered while harvesting any fetal tissue for a tasty snack. Religious expression must not be tolerated.

Have a blessed day.
Thanks guys Group Hug

(August 12, 2015 at 3:24 pm)abaris Wrote: Can't say I share your feelings. There's one thing about that fire and brimstone story that didn't make sense to me even when I was a child. The devil is recruiting according to their stories, so what's his motif to play god's jailer and torturer? Why should he play god's ball?

I've always been more afraid of god than hell. Satan is a good guy in my book. Not nearly as scary as the celestial dictator Undecided
(August 12, 2015 at 2:59 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Suck it, Jesus.
And the donkey you rode in on!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I find that I too, sometimes, find it unbelievable somehow that I don't believe in God - but in my country, that's no surprise. Here 99.9 % of the people are religious. After a lifetime of that, you'll have times when your religious alter ego will creep in and tell you that of course there's a god, how could there not be? It really freaks me out - not that it's that strong of a feeling, but just that this slight thought is there. I'm ashamed whenever I have it. My logical side though - Meh, still not impressed with fairy tales.

I've had two friends that were atheists too, and one acquaintance I made online- all moldavians like me. The two friends told me recently that they are believers again - one of them might have been joking though. The other one, I found out later, was just misunderstanding what the concept of God even means - no surprise there, I guess, but it still gave me pause a little. The acquaintance though, I found out was once an atheist and returned to her theistic beliefs because she started believing in miracles again, and because of her "personal experience".

Bottom line is, here, not even the atheists are free from religion. It's a truly fucked-up situation and I commiserate for my compatriots. I have thought about it and I think it's because of the nation's history. It's post-communist, and since we all know how communists handled religion, maybe that's why we've witnessed such a massive religious backlash in these parts of the world over the preceding decades.
(August 12, 2015 at 3:44 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: I've always been more afraid of god than hell. Satan is a good guy in my book. Not nearly as scary as the celestial dictator Undecided

Of him I was scared when I was a child. For a while. Told you that story these scumbags wanted me to believe about god taking what's most dear to me.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Angels & Demons Controversy. Azazylix 51 17187 May 27, 2009 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Azazylix