Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels & Demons Controversy.
Sad 
Angels & Demons Controversy.
Regarding the recent film Angels & Demons, based on Dan Brown's novel. Like its predecessor, the Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons is frowned upon by the Christian community in general, and some even take it as an insult to Christianity as a whole. Can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16-OSKuBy48

http://www.boston.com/news/local/article...visit.html

-among many others.

Also keep in mind that throughout the film, the directors were banned from filming in the Vatican and several Christian churches, so most of the film's grand scenes were painstakingly crafted by digital artists. And then keep in mind that because of the film, the Christian churches are not only receiving greater attention, but those featured in the film are also featured in an Angels & Demons tour of Rome. Undeserved attention?

Personally I thought it was a great film, and I really can't understand why the movie ratings and reviews were so bad. I know its mean, but I remarked to a friend that any film that speaks against Christianity won't get high reviews, which might be true.

Any thoughts?

P.S. considered posting this in the Science section, considering one of the main themes in the movie is the whole Science V.S. Religion thing. But Off Topic perhaps suits better!
~We, the atheist, in creating a purpose for ourselves where there was none, are greater than God himself.~
RE: Angels & Demons Controversy.
@Azazlix

I've read both books,beginning with "The Da Vinci Code" which I enjoyed as "airport fiction".I thought "Angels And Demons"( written first) was a slightly better book,although that's not saying much. I think Dan Brown is a hack who hit the right note with the ignorant and gullible. I was unable to sit through the film.

The "Angels And Demons" film has received excellent reviews here from the critics I trust. (both of 'em) The reviewers said the film is a bit of fluff,but very well done,doesn't take itself too seriously,and works as a thriller.They also said they couldn't think anyone would get upset.

I'm not surprised that some people are upset. They have every right to be as upset as they like. I have as much right not to give a rat's arse about their religious sensibilities.
Does the guy who made that video understand what the word "fiction" means???
Wasn't the vatikan and religous person get uppset about Harry Potter also?
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
It's (based on) a fucking NOVEL!
Somebody's thinking it, so I might as well say it. One day someone should do to the Christians what someone did to the Jews.
Well....I certainly wasn't thinking it.....

I wonder where this 'someone' is that you speak of? And what... do you mean specifically here? Or anywhere in the WORLD? :S

EvF
I for one was thinking it. And anywhere.
Well SOMEONE in the world must be BOUND to be thinking at least at SOME point - it's a big world. And I have no idea on the numbers that are thinking it right now -although over time it must be a lot...

I personally however, as I have said. Do not think of this (unless you include you merely putting the image in my head by your mere mentioning of it. I do not REMOTELY seriously think this tho).

EvF
I'm sure there are other like minded people out there. Trouble is finding them. There is a Christian holocaust website, but it doesn't appeal to me because it appears to have a satanist agenda and is nearly nonsensical.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battling my demons Longhorn 45 7468 August 15, 2015 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Some days we like a heated controversy? Brakeman 11 2156 June 20, 2014 at 12:12 am
Last Post: naimless
  Why such controversy over prank? Aractus 65 17133 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Angels Poetry Corner OTNAngel 5 1803 September 15, 2012 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman