Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time
Time
Can anyone explain time to me? It never made sense to me that it's actually a real thing in physics, I always thought it was just another human peculiarity that makes no sense conceptually- just another fuck-up of linguistics.

Provide whatever explanation you like. Just please don't call me a moron - I already know that, sigh.  Angel
RE: Time
Time is simply a measure of motion.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(August 15, 2015 at 10:03 pm)IATIA Wrote: Time is simply a measure of motion.

How does it measure motion exactly? That seems to me like a circular definition.

How come it's the "fourth dimension" if it simply measures motion?

And what is motion then?
Basically we use motion to measure motion.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(August 15, 2015 at 10:37 pm)IATIA Wrote: Basically we use motion to measure motion.

I'm guessing you're referring to how we actually measure time and how we use that "set" motion(be it of the pendulum for arguments' sake) to compare it against some other, unfamiliar motion so we can better grasp its nature(?).

But why do we need to measure motion like that, in the first place? It doesn't seem to me like it's the best possible way to go about it, really. But what do I know? Big Grin
(August 15, 2015 at 10:44 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: But why do we need to measure motion like that, in the first place? It doesn't seem to me like it's the best possible way to go about it, really. But what do I know? Big Grin

I am not sure I understand the question.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(August 15, 2015 at 10:33 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote:
(August 15, 2015 at 10:03 pm)IATIA Wrote: Time is simply a measure of motion.

How come it's the "fourth dimension" if it simply measures motion?

Think of a street address. If I want to meet you, I need to specify not only a 3-dimensional location but one of a time, also. If the time doesn't match up, we won't see each other.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(August 15, 2015 at 10:57 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(August 15, 2015 at 10:44 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: But why do we need to measure motion like that, in the first place? It doesn't seem to me like it's the best possible way to go about it, really. But what do I know? Big Grin

I am not sure I understand the question.

That may be because I didn't properly understand you and that's why I branched out with different questions. A confirmation that I got your reply about motion measuring motion right would both suffice and nullify this other question that puzzled you.
Either without time everything would happen all at once, or nothing would happen at all . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

This is the point at which time becomes a problem.  If everything did not happen at once then we run into infinite regression.  On the other hand, I perceive that I had to strike a key on the keyboard before it would show on the screen.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1748 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life magizines "Greatest scientific thinker of our time" franca 6 5887 October 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman