Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Human Spirit
The Human Spirit
I guess this is my "religion" as such. I will submit that it is in fact a religion in that it has no definitive proof.

I believe in the power of the "human spirit". Those of you familiar with the movie, "Point Break" will be familiar with this concept. The principle character is a bank robber who doesn't really care much about money. He says to his compatriots:

"This was never about the money, this was about us against the system. That system that kills the human spirit. We stand for something. We are here to show those people that are inching along the freeway in their metal coffins that the human spirit is still alive."

God, I loved this movie. It is similar in principle to the secular principle we see in Star Trek. The idea is that there is something inherent in human beings that is good and it will prevail unless stifled.

What do you think? Is this a higher calling which we should aspire to or is it just another another unsubstantiated affirmation with no more validity than Hitler's 3rd Reich?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: The Human Spirit
Why drag Hitler into it?

And why do we need some higher purpose? Isn't trying to make the best out of life enough? Without treading on other's toes, when possible.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I want to leave the world a better place than I found it. I love standing in awe of the universe.
I love making improv music and having it kick ass.

That's as close as I come to spiritualism. It's good enough for me.

What one may illogically refer to as the human spirit, I logically refer to as personality.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 21, 2015 at 7:40 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I want to leave the work a better place than I found it. I love standing in awe of the universe

Well, that IS the Human Spirit.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(August 21, 2015 at 7:36 pm)abaris Wrote: Why drag Hitler into it?

And why do we need some higher purpose? Isn't trying to make the best out of life enough? Without treading on other's toes, when possible.

I'm drunk. Sorry, but it happens from time to time.

I'm REALLY fucked up. You know what I mean?

You should all have a nice, REALLY fucking good day.

La, la, la.

A man is entitled to his la, la, la time. Don't you think? I tried to spell it correctly.

La, la, la.

Albert Einstein
You're not drunk typing yet, keep going.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 21, 2015 at 7:57 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(August 21, 2015 at 7:40 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I want to leave the work a better place than I found it. I love standing in awe of the universe

Well, that IS the Human Spirit.

Meh, it's one iteration of it, and necessarily different from anyone else's.

AFTT47 Wrote:I'm drunk.
Oh yeah, I believe in those spirits.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(August 21, 2015 at 8:28 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: You're not drunk typing yet, keep going.

I'd really like to but I know my limit. It's like when your washington machine breakes amd there's no obvious problem with he think. The lint filter is thr most common problem but if thats not it and thd the fucking thing tjong dtill wont wotk. what can you do but call a profesional repairman?

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gender of Holy Spirit TwoKnives99 31 4743 November 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Blaspheming the holy spirit Ravenshire 9 2310 July 28, 2014 at 3:11 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  In the spirit of "Ask a ______" Rampant.A.I. 6 1584 July 11, 2014 at 9:57 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Cousins in the Spirit: Angels of Iran zanOTK 0 1308 June 26, 2014 at 6:08 am
Last Post: zanOTK
  Witness of the Holy Spirit ThePinsir 10 2726 February 4, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
Lightbulb Mathematical Neuroscience and The Spirit oanghelidi 62 18409 March 3, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Destroying "atheism", God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) is a Fact SavedByChrist94 50 24827 January 3, 2013 at 10:16 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Spirit and then there is brain damage Ace Otana 22 11046 April 29, 2010 at 5:20 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Spirit (Hebrew Ruach / Greek Pneuma) Daystar 29 18778 November 9, 2008 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki