Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintings
Paintings
Post a pic of your favorite painting. (Please add a description in case I'm unfamiliar with the piece)
RE: Paintings
Dali, there are too many to post

Erte (the one I REALLY like I can't find)

LOL, I have a Chuck Jones I paid $500 for.

Tom of Finland

Who did the illustrations for Joy of Gay Sex ? They're all pencil drawings, and they are really good too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I want to see more from Jenny A!!
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I like Jan Vermeer. I'm particularly interested in this idea that he used a mirror to nail down the colors so accurately, and would love to try it out. I was thinking about using my winter down time on trying this out, but I've also been called on to record some songs for a couple of chicks.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Zdenek Burian is one of my favorite painters. He painted very vividly life of early hominids and also lots of the characters in his paintings were usually copied (or should I say stolen) by other artists in other books about evolution.

This one is our ancestors hunting Gigantopithecus
[Image: e111e27c89e38d678afbc6536c83435d.png]

A group of australopithecines in the open steppe lands of southern Africa.
[Image: 10af897967b15ab917fbd3578c9bc3e8.png]

Grandpa teaching young people - those were the days
[Image: 278ba036c7a7fc076670fcd504bb3669.png]

Thirsty ape like it's from "Space Odyssey"
[Image: 3d6f958cf78dbbfc83d54246b78cc662.png]

I also like paintings of Jeff Gillette of slums devoured by garbage that is triumph of corporate greed and clearly something we're heading in.
[Image: jeff-gillette-dismayland-exhibition-recap-3.jpg]
[Image: Mic_Hiro_small_1024x1024.jpg?v=1360200264]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Basically everything by Pieter Brueghel the Younger. This one's called Bethlehem, so it's about Jesus' birth. But like everything Brueghel did, it opens a window into his time and everyday life back then. There's so much going on in that picture and you can see what people did for work and for fun in his time and region.

[Image: 800px-Pieter_Brueghel_de_Jonge_-_Volkste...5-1610.jpg]
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
William Holman Hunt's Scapegoat

[Image: williamholmanhunt.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
A pre-Raphaelite image by an artist called Walter Langley: "Never Morning Wore To Evening, But Some Heart Did Break." (Tennyson)

I enjoy melancholy art, and Langley's pre-Raphaelite hangs in my local Art gallery. It's about a woman who has been awaiting her love's return only to find out he has been killed in a wreck. For me it captures all the grief I would feel if my fiancé died and I never saw her again.

Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I'm rather partial to Gottfried Helnwein myself.  Enormous photorealistic paintings, usually idealized representations of the consequences of war/violence and, more broadly, investigations of the rather haunting aspects of childhood.

Possibly his most famous is this one, of a little girl covered in blood (The Disasters of War):
[Image: 11424679_109394509398989_1120272845_n.jpg]

His famous self-portrait, face partially obscured by a rather torturous-looking bandage thing:
[Image: gottfried_helnwein.jpg]

The album cover he did for Marilyn Manson, with Marilyn wearing (variously) a white and black creepy looking Mickey Mouse hat:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFjBeh0kAMW7g2u1lJyjj...0cELAKCxrz]

In fact, he did a lot with Disney, portraying Disney characters in an eerie, sinister light:
[Image: Gottfried2.jpg]

"The Disasters of War 3"
[Image: 2707]

Person for scale:
[Image: kindskopf_on_exhibit_in_sao_paolo_by_got...76a9xv.jpg]

More investigations of war,
[Image: twitter_helnwein_profile_400x400.jpg]

worship (Epiphany 1: Adoration of the Magi, depicting nazi-type dudes observing a baby with an uncanny resemblance to Hitler),
[Image: 293]
and, well... other genuinely scary type feelings:
[Image: 2156]

Do note: The Manson one is a photograph, but the rest are paintings.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I've seen various translations for the title of this work, but it is by Van Gogh, and wikipedia calls it Sorrowing Old Man ('At Eternity's Gate'):
Sorrowing Old Man ('At Eternity's Gate') is an oil painting by Vincent van Gogh [2] that he made in 1890 in Saint-Rémy de Provence based on an early lithograph.[3] The painting was completed in early May at a time when he was convalescing from a severe relapse in his health and some two months before his death, generally accepted as a suicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Eternity%27s_Gate
[Image: 800px-Van_Gogh_-_Trauernder_alter_Mann.jpeg]

ETA: Actually, that's the first time I have ever heard an explanation for it. I had always just assumed that the man was distraught for reasons unknown to the viewer, and perhaps even himself, as such episodes can be at times. I really related to it on that level. I planned out my own suicide on my birthday in 2007. In the end, the plan just didn't seem foolproof, so I didn't attempt it. But I was having intense emotions like are depicted in this painting. The lonely man, sitting in a chair, head in hands, bawling his eyes out uncontrollably.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite paintings? Angrboda 17 6445 April 12, 2013 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  See all the paintings owned by the British Public ManMachine 2 1169 February 14, 2013 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Darth