Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drought
Drought
So I was thinking and I don't know much about how any of this works but why isn't California borrowing water from the Great Lakes in the Midwest and/or doing mass desalination of ocean water? Isn't there some sort of technology that could harvest clouds so we could use them for water? Aren't they making this drought thing harder than necessary?
RE: Drought
We're borrowing, I think, from Idaho and a few other places. As far as clouds go, we can seed them by airplane to make it rain, and so we have groundwater.

But...we're California, and in the rest of the country's eyes, we have awesome weather. So...people are going to keep moving here. And our demand will keep getting more and more severe.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
No way to ship or pipe from the Great Lakes that far. The quantities involved would be large.

Desalinization takes power. Burning fossil fuels for that in California would get you lynched. Nuclear power plants would be a pretty neat way to do it, but in this case, you would be lynched, and everyone you talked to about it would have to undergo radical lobotomies.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 24, 2015 at 10:18 pm)c172 Wrote: We're borrowing, I think, from Idaho and a few other places. As far as clouds go, we can seed them by airplane to make it rain, and so we have groundwater.

But...we're California, and in the rest of the country's eyes, we have awesome weather. So...people are going to keep moving here. And our demand will keep getting more and more severe.
Won't move there if your rent stays so high
(September 24, 2015 at 10:19 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: No way to ship or pipe from the Great Lakes that far. The quantities involved would be large.

Desalinization takes power. Burning fossil fuels for that in California would get you lynched. Nuclear power plants would be a pretty neat way to do it, but in this case, you would be lynched, and everyone you talked to about it would have to undergo radical lobotomies.
i was thinking about flying more water in, surely this counts as a state of emergency?
There have been several proposals since probably the 50s, if not earlier, to build a series of dams, canals, and pipelines from far up the coast maybe as far as the
Alaskan panhandle with the goal of transferring enormous quantities of water south to California.

The drawback to these proposals is the environmental impact statement would take CENTURIES to complete, and the North American continent would have to be totally deforested to make enough paper to print it out.

It's probably easier to just go door to door in California and shoot every other person and to do that at roughly 25 year intervals.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 24, 2015 at 10:25 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: There have been several proposals since probably the 50s, if not earlier, to build a series of dams, canals, and pipelines from far up the coast maybe as far as the
Alaskan panhandle with the goal of transferring enormous quantities of water south to California.

The drawback to these proposals is the environmental impact statement would take CENTURIES to complete, and the North American continent would have to be totally deforested to make enough paper to print it out.

It's probably easier to just go door to door in California and shoot every other person and to do that at roughly 25 year intervals.
That's not good! Gee golly, why not take some of the damned melting ice caps?
(September 24, 2015 at 10:24 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(September 24, 2015 at 10:19 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: No way to ship or pipe from the Great Lakes that far.  The quantities involved would be large.

Desalinization takes power.  Burning fossil fuels for that in California would get you lynched.  Nuclear power plants would be a pretty neat way to do it, but in this case, you would be lynched, and everyone you talked to about it would have to undergo radical lobotomies.
i was thinking about flying more water in, surely this counts as a state of emergency?

Planes do not run on unicorn droppings.  And hauling a cubic kilometer of water via air would be an ENORMOUS task.

(September 24, 2015 at 10:19 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: No way to ship or pipe from the Great Lakes that far. The quantities involved would be large.

Actually, people are leaving Cali and coming where the water IS. Oregon and Washington. Oregon I the top state to be moved into.....

Go back to California! Jk, but I am a little tired of being in a drought and giving so much water so stupid rich people can water their lawns.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 24, 2015 at 10:27 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(September 24, 2015 at 10:25 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: There have been several proposals since probably the 50s, if not earlier, to build a series of dams, canals, and pipelines from far up the coast maybe as far as the

That's not good! Gee golly, why not take some of the damned melting ice caps?

Go bail out your bathtub 50 times tonight, and then come back here and we can discuss the logistics of moving water.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drought Leads To War. Minimalist 28 4298 August 13, 2014 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Old Kingdom Brought Down By Drought Minimalist 2 1432 August 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist