Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello all !
Hello all !
Hi all. My name is Steve. Glad to find this forum. Just a little about me. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools and at one time even considered becoming a priest as in middle school and early high school. Religion was an important part of my life, I was raised that way, conditioned that way and had no real reason to question it as just about everyone else around me was of like mind. Around the time of my sophomore year of high-school I began to have doubts, questions and general discomfort with some of the teachings of the Catholic Church and thus began my journey towards Atheism. 

Will spare you the details or this post would be a mile long. It was a gradual and shift from Christianity to Agnostic to Atheism. I am a RN, I spend my life helping people, not because some imaginary sky daddy commands it so, I do it because I believe that while we are here we have an obligation to better our species, to develop as a species and to lay the foundation for the next generation to do the same. I also do it because it makes ME happy. 

Now I am a committed Atheist. I see religion as the greatest threat to the development, advancement and survival of our species simply because it provides the most predatory individuals of our species the tools to manipulate, control and subjugate the weakest of us. It the mechanism in which we are sold that our lot in life is predestined, beyond our control and at the discretion of a force that we cannot see, cannot hear but must follow. It is the oldest snake oil salesman trick in the book, a method in which wealth is stolen from the many and kept by the few while insisting that we should be grateful that our lot in life is not worse, and telling us that faith and prayer (doing nothing) is the only way to improve our lot, if "God" so chooses to do so. It makes me angry and sick to see. No surprise there though, never could stand bullies. 

So anyway thank you for making this community to discuss these things. I know many of you will not see things as I do but that is the beauty of Atheism, we do not have to see things alike to work together if we have other mutual goals. Look forward to getting to know those who care to know me !
RE: Hello all !
Welcome to the forum!

Tell us about your RN practice.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yet another ex-Catholic.

Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome to the ex-RCC club....a great club to be in.

We have a few who have not seen the light around here.  Feel free to engage.

Taking prisoners is optional.
(October 6, 2015 at 7:18 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

I have been an RN for 22 yrs. Mostly centered around critical care and ER settings. Love what I do. Challenging and rewarding Smile
(October 6, 2015 at 8:26 pm)webrn Wrote:
(October 6, 2015 at 7:18 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

I have been an RN for 22 yrs. Mostly centered around critical care and ER settings. Love what I do. Challenging and rewarding Smile

Very cool. What was your most memorable ER experience (best or worst)?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Welcome!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hi Steve glad to meet you. Make yourself at home.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Hi Steve, I'm glad you decided to join us!

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you enjoy the forum Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello to all SimpleCaveman 52 3569 November 29, 2023 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: SimpleCaveman
  Hello y'all BillieBobbie 3 715 January 18, 2023 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Objectivist
  Twitter refugee, hello all Dizzyagain 27 1768 October 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Dizzyagain
  Hello All! Smedders 11 738 December 29, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello all Bmanne 23 2972 December 12, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: sebaslopez
  Hello All Mark Alien 24 2683 August 7, 2019 at 11:25 am
Last Post: veoli
  Hello all ohio_drg 13 1341 September 28, 2018 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2148 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3311 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello all. kramazeek 22 2506 September 7, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Longhorn