Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting archaeological find in Turkey
Interesting archaeological find in Turkey
http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewto...=10&t=3671

Even the Romans posted fines for water polluters.
RE: Interesting archaeological find in Turkey
Wow, 5000 to 12.500 Denars is quite heavy. Back in the olden days I used to know what a Denar could buy and it wasn't that little.

I always find it amazing how the Romans were so much like us, as the graffiti in Pompeii show. Here are some dirty ones.

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2013/03/t...-graffiti/
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quote:Wow, 5000 to 12.500 Denars is quite heavy. Back in the olden days I used to know what a Denar could buy and it wasn't that little.

Under Augustus, a centurion of the first rank was paid 15000 denarii per year. One denarius was roughly equivalent in purchasing power to about $30, so yes, that was a pretty stiff fine.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 14, 2015 at 6:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Under Augustus, a centurion of the first rank was paid 15000 denarii per year.  One denarius was roughly equivalent in purchasing power to about $30, so yes, that was a pretty stiff fine.

Boru

Can't be that much though. This would amount to a Centurion being paid 450.000 a year. Given the force they commanded, it roughly amounts to a company. So their rank, again going by today's standard would be lieutenant. And that certainly doesn't net half a million dollars a year.
Some centurions commanded cohorts which would make them something akin to a major.

The denari was supposed to be the standard wage for a laborer for one day during the late Republican/ early Imperial period.
Yes, but roman coin was also subject to inflation quite often. So it's especially difficult to determine it's worth.

I found the time to look at some book in the meantime, where they say that one Denarius roughly amounted to a soldiers pay for a day and that it could buy wheat for a month.. That seems about right in my opinion. So, still a stiff sum.
Currency debasement is a game that all governments play. 

You're correct about the practice which makes trying to understand any issue in Roman history dependent on the date.  The denari was introduced during the Second Punic War and continued in common usage for centuries.
(October 14, 2015 at 6:13 pm)abaris Wrote: I always find it amazing how the Romans were so much like us, as the graffiti in Pompeii show. Here are some dirty ones.

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2013/03/t...-graffiti/

omg omg omg.  I literally laughed so hard I peed myself.

hilarious.
(October 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm)MTL Wrote: omg omg omg.  I literally laughed so hard I peed myself.

hilarious.

I always do when reading some of these. There's actually one I didn't find in these examples. Some landlord threatening anyone taking a shit in his entrance with being fucked. Pictures involved.
(October 14, 2015 at 9:22 pm)abaris Wrote:
(October 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm)MTL Wrote: omg omg omg.  I literally laughed so hard I peed myself.

hilarious.

I always do when reading some of these. There's actually one I didn't find in these examples. Some landlord threatening anyone taking a shit in his entrance with being fucked. Pictures involved.

Priceless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This Is An Interesting Admission Minimalist 3 1005 June 6, 2016 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting Find in Israel Minimalist 6 1424 November 25, 2015 at 10:11 pm
  Major Find: Antiochus IV's Citadel in Jerusalem Minimalist 22 3657 November 8, 2015 at 11:03 pm
  Significant Find in Southern Greece Minimalist 2 1225 October 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm
  Who Knows. Might Find Something. Minimalist 10 3356 October 25, 2015 at 2:51 pm
  Go for a walk, find a Viking sword The Valkyrie 19 4037 October 23, 2015 at 6:08 pm
  Pre-Clovis Find in Oregon Minimalist 12 3212 March 9, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Interesting Pew Poll... SteelCurtain 16 3480 January 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Norman Humann
  Interesting video Minimalist 8 1744 January 26, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Significant Archaeological Find in Jerusalem...or Was It "Aelia Capitolina?" Minimalist 2 1101 October 21, 2014 at 2:03 pm