Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logical Fallacies
Logical Fallacies
Hi everyone!

I am composing a notebook in OneNote for my new install of Window 7.

I would like it if everyone would think of as many logical fallacies as possible with a brief (or thorough) description of each one.

I know there are so many of them, however, I am only familiar with few.

I am very appreciative of all responses!
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: Logical Fallacies
An Encyclopedia of Logical Fallacies
oooooo... nice. Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
Hahahahahaa!!!
Quote:Example
(1) Most people who are read the last rites die shortly afterwards.
Therefore:
(2) Priests are going around killing people with magic words!
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
hahah awesome.
--- RDW, 17
I use that source as well as this at times when I'm told I'm doing this or that.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
A thing is a fallacy only if it is untrue... a logical fallacy is a thing that is logically untrue... every one of them also a non-sequitur.

So to list all of the fallacies possible would be to endlessly list many things that have not a semblance of sanity... observe this one:

Bananas are yellow... therefore the moon is made of cheese.

If a statement asserts one point... and a conclusion is drawn from it that does not relate to that point: it is a logical fallacy. However... this says nothing of the truth of the matter. It may indeed be that because bananas are yellow... the moon is not only made of cheese... but green and inhabited by the VPP. We "may" not be fully appreciating the color of yellow... or perhaps be misattributing the banana's relationship to cheese... but we have no reason to suppose that we are, therefore: such a statement is to us a fallacy.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Logical+Fallacies
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
[Image: strawmanmotivational.jpg]
Stephen Downes Guide to the Logical Fallacies

An awesomely good site that provides useful definitions for most, if not all, of the logical fallacies anyone with flawed reasoning can ever hope to incur.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 2451 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Is God a logical contradiction? Tom Fearnley 561 39904 February 28, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3967 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 11982 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Is it logical for a Theological Noncognitivist to identify as an atheist? IanHulett 24 6410 September 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 14792 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why Agnostic Atheism may not be the most logical stance. Mystic 36 12649 March 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm? Bob101 61 14825 February 13, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4034 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2171 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda