Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florentine Archaeology
Florentine Archaeology
https://treasuresofflorence.wordpress.co...o-vecchio/

Quote:The Palazzo Vecchio, rightly one of Florence’s most celebrated structures, has been many things in its long lifetime: the seat of the Signoria (the rulers of the Republic), a Medici palace, the seat of government for the newly-united Kingdom of Italy and, most recently, a museum and mayor’s office. However, that is just the history of the current building. The history of the site is far older, reaching back to medieval palaces, burial sites and, deep in the mists of time, a Roman theatre.
RE: Florentine Archaeology
You had me at "archaeology"
Dying to live, living to die.
Marvelously beautiful city. We were there for 2 days. Could have spent a month and not seen it all.
Ah! Been there last fall, fantastic! Unfortunately, the Palace was closed so we could only admire it from the outside. But the Uffizi took up all the time anyways.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Aww, and I thought this was going to be a thread about ancient spinach.

No matter. I've never made it to Florence. Milan, Rome, and (once) Taranto. Italian provincials are lovely, generous, warm hearted people. Romans could give Parisians lessons in pointless snobbery.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 21, 2015 at 3:58 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Romans could give Parisians lessons in pointless snobbery.

Like a Parisian would take a lesson from those parvenus Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 21, 2015 at 2:59 am)Alex K Wrote: Ah! Been there last fall, fantastic! Unfortunately, the Palace was closed so we could only admire it from the outside. But the Uffizi took up all the time anyways.

By the time I got to the Uffizi I was museumed out.

I don't actually remember a ton about Florence - I remember that my hotel room had a pretty view of the Duomo dome, I remember seeing San Lorenzo, one of my favorite interiors, the stairway of the Lorentian Library, to die for, I missed the Medici Chapel because there was a huge line, climbing the dome, and then walking around the shopping district eating gelato with the grad students I was palling around with.

Oh, and this dinner we had... Angel
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I always found that the "House Wine" in Italy was pretty good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Archaeology...Sorry No Indiana Jones Shit. Minimalist 6 2104 August 11, 2014 at 3:53 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Why Archaeology Cannot Be Left To Jesus Freak Shitheads..... Minimalist 12 4397 March 28, 2014 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Archaeology Lab Minimalist 11 2862 August 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Archaeology at Khirbet Qeiyafa Minimalist 8 4119 January 2, 2013 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Archaeology Sticks It Up The Bible's Ass Again Minimalist 41 15285 October 3, 2012 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Kind of Archaeology Minimalist 10 2838 July 4, 2011 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Epimethean