Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeology...Sorry No Indiana Jones Shit.
Archaeology...Sorry No Indiana Jones Shit.
Prof. Bloch-Smith is with the Theology Dept of St Joseph's University in Philadelphia. Still, she is an archaeologist and has written this paper which is bound to piss off fundies....if they bothered to read anything which didn't tell them what they wanted to hear in the first place.

https://www.academia.edu/7857714/Questio..._and_Texts

Quote:Archaeology, as an independent witness to ancient Israel, enables reconstructing the historical context for the production of Bible texts and in which they are to be understood. Te devastating Assyrian campaigns formed the backdrop for Hezekiah’s reforms and prophetic oracles. In the el Arad example, archaeology supplies material correlates for Israelite features such as massebot and a temple (not mentioned in the Bible) and the actual features and practices to which biblical authors and editors were responding. As the two case studies demonstrate, studying the physical remains together with the literary record provides insight into actual practices of the late eighth through the sixth centuries, the historical circumstances that shaped those actions, and the evolution of Yahwistic cultic practices through the last centuries of the Davidic kingdom.

Tough titties, jesus freaks.
RE: Archaeology...Sorry No Indiana Jones Shit.
They won't read it. The bad news has been coming out for decades. It's hardly new. Doesn't seem to faze the literalists. From what I read, I think the Hebrews and the Canaanites were essentially the same people. No promised land, just a gradual dominance of one religion over the others which solidified during the Babylonian captivity.

As for monotheism, there are indicators in the OT that god was once one god among many.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
The accumulation of evidence will overpower them eventually. They can stay stupid forever but the clock is winding down on them.

I do recommend Philip R. Davies, In Search of Ancient Israel. It was the Persians who began this monotheistic wave in the ANE.

What Bloch-Smith, and Dever and Mazar before her, are getting at is the establishment of a state cult as the central governments grew. Yhwh was the boss hooter in Jerusalem...just like Marduk was the boss hooter in Babylon.
(August 3, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Prof. Bloch-Smith is with the Theology Dept of St Joseph's University in Philadelphia. Still, she is an archaeologist and has written this paper which is bound to piss off fundies....if they bothered to read anything which didn't tell them what they wanted to hear in the first place.

https://www.academia.edu/7857714/Questio..._and_Texts

Quote:Archaeology, as an independent witness to ancient Israel, enables reconstructing the historical context for the production of Bible texts and in which they are to be understood. Te devastating Assyrian campaigns formed the backdrop for Hezekiah’s reforms and prophetic oracles. In the el Arad example, archaeology supplies material correlates for Israelite features such as massebot and a temple (not mentioned in the Bible) and the actual features and practices to which biblical authors and editors were responding. As the two case studies demonstrate, studying the physical remains together with the literary record provides insight into actual practices of the late eighth through the sixth centuries, the historical circumstances that shaped those actions, and the evolution of Yahwistic cultic practices through the last centuries of the Davidic kingdom.

Tough titties, jesus freaks.

Last centuries of the Davidic Kingdom? Uh what....glad I never went to Seminary if this is what they offer.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Yeah..you couldn't handle it. Far too demoralizing to find out how badly you have been conned, Polecat.

Stay stupid. It suits you.
(August 4, 2014 at 8:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah..you couldn't handle it. Far too demoralizing to find out how badly you have been conned, Polecat.

Stay stupid. It suits you.

The Davidic Kingdom did not even last one century.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I like Jenny's comment. It's quite clear that a huge issue in the OT had to deal with servitude to one god. The OT, if serving for anything, shows that the society in control at the time sought to mandate the belief in one god but of course, this couldn't have meant that there was belief in many gods. Alright fundementalists, I guess you will have to admit that your god loves to be irrelavant in conversation then, and that his first commandment is basically, well, irrelevant.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Florentine Archaeology Minimalist 7 1625 October 21, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Some shit we've been waiting for abaris 19 3566 May 1, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  No Shit! Minimalist 13 2322 June 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why Archaeology Cannot Be Left To Jesus Freak Shitheads..... Minimalist 12 4397 March 28, 2014 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Shit........................ Minimalist 4 1007 November 30, 2013 at 1:26 am
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  Archaeology Lab Minimalist 11 2862 August 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Archaeology at Khirbet Qeiyafa Minimalist 8 4119 January 2, 2013 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Archaeology Sticks It Up The Bible's Ass Again Minimalist 41 15275 October 3, 2012 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Nice Site...Something Else For Fundies to Shit Themselves About Minimalist 6 3067 October 20, 2011 at 1:56 am
Last Post: Lehrling
  The Best Kind of Archaeology Minimalist 10 2838 July 4, 2011 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Epimethean