Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument from noncognitivism
Argument from noncognitivism
If you look at my profile you will see that I am a theological noncognitivist. Some may not know what that means so I will share a link to the argument thereof.

http://www.strongatheism.net/library/ath...gnitivism/

Moderator Notice
Although we don't normally allow linking a la the 30/30 rule, this is a good example of the exception.
RE: Argument from noncognitivism
You are the first person I have seen bring up the difference between a weak atheist and a strong one! Not just here, almost anywhere! Although I say "I am not a theist" out loud, understanding these terms a few years ago helped Get me over the "Christian Guilt" for the last time. I have come a long way since then but thank you for the link.
When   you   understand  why   you   dismiss   all   the   other   possible   gods,   you  will understand why I dismiss yours. ~Stephen Roberts~
But... but... he's not doing the dance!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm an ignostic, which is pretty similar I think. Whether or not I'm technically also an atheist is a matter of definition.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
why is noncognitivism considered strong atheism ?
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
I suppose you could put it this way:

The phrase "there is a god" is meaningless (to an ignostic / non cog). So I know my answer must be the default state of non-belief in that statement until I at least understand it.

Of course, this doesn't stop someone coming along and calling an apple their God. So I may believe the statement if it was worded in terms I could understand.

Now that I write that out, ignosticism does correlate more with weak atheism if anything. You can't believe a phrase is false, if you don't understand it. Maybe non cog makes a stronger statement than I have supposed above, that such claimed things simply cannot exist. It all comes down to definitions, really.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
A noncognitivist seems to me to be a veritable psychopath, at least according to the standard of psychology.

Therefore, what does that make the theological noncognitivist?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I suppose I read the phrase as being, "Theology contains nothing meaningful/real that can be thought about".

Or rather, the reality is limited to people's imaginations I suppose.

Index of my best videos
Quote:Non-cognitivism is the meta-ethical view that ethical sentences do not express propositions (i.e. statements) and thus cannot be true or false (they are not truth-apt). A noncognitivist denies the cognitivist claim that "moral judgments are capable of being objectively true, because they describe some feature of the world."[1] If moral statements cannot be true, and if one cannot know something that is not true, noncognitivism implies that moral knowledge is impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-cognitivism
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Huh. Well, that's confusing.

I agree that moral knowledge is impossible for the reasons stated, but that's not the same as God. I suppose it's being extended by saying knowledge of God is impossible. I agree with that, when god is used in anything other than a trivial sense.

Index of my best videos