Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 1:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowspiracy
Cowspiracy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3302820/

It is a documentary that basically shows animal agriculture is the leading cause of our environmental problems, and he suggests that people stop eating less meat.

The problem is that this is 'Murica where people love their meat, and people are not going to give it up for anything.

One of the reasons I stopped being a vegan is the fact that my not eating meat was not going to have any impact on others not eating meat. They were going to eat meat regardless of my lifestyle choices. That is still true today. Meat, in moderation, is healthy, and that is why I will continue to eat meat. Due to how much people in this country love their meat, and the fact that producing the meat is a huge part of the monetary market, I never foresee animal agriculture decreasing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Cowspiracy
I've found that leading by example can make a difference. Several people have stopped eating meat after getting to know me. Not because I put any pressure on them, but because it caused them to think and talk about it with me.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Didn't watch but have seen similar. The same could also be said for swine an poultry ranching.

Possible solution, eat alternative meat sources: fish, rabbit, guinea pig, goat, deer, .............
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote:he suggests that people stop eating less meat.

Stop.  Eating.  Less.  Meat.

I need a drink.
(November 3, 2015 at 4:45 pm)Kitan Wrote: The problem is that this is 'Murica where people love their meat, and people are not going to give it up for anything.

One of the reasons I stopped being a vegan is the fact that my not eating meat was not going to have any impact on others not eating meat.  They were going to eat meat regardless of my lifestyle choices.

Firstly, tragedy of the commons, it's a bitch.

Secondly, I've heard that beef production in the US has been declining in the last several years, and that overall meat consumption is declining as well.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(November 3, 2015 at 7:22 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Secondly, I've heard that beef production in the US has been declining in the last several years, and that overall meat consumption is declining as well.

That may well be - at least in part - because the stuff is getting outlandishly expensive. If I were feeding a family on a tight budget, beef would certainly not be what's for dinner, you know?

It used to be that beef was comparitively inexpensive, and fish (particularly shellfish) was an expensive luxury meal. The good news is, I now voluntarily eat a more fish and shellfish than I used to. Yay, says my physician and my wallet.

I expect I am not the only one.

I still like my beef, but with what it costs these days, I like a whole lot of other things just as much.
They can pull that steak from my left hand and pull that gun from my right hand after I am dead.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 3, 2015 at 7:42 pm)Skeletor Wrote:
(November 3, 2015 at 7:22 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: Secondly, I've heard that beef production in the US has been declining in the last several years, and that overall meat consumption is declining as well.

That may well be - at least in part - because the stuff is getting outlandishly expensive.  If I were feeding a family on a tight budget, beef would certainly not be what's for dinner, you know?

I've heard the arrow of causation goes the other way - that the price of beef has gone up because production has gone down. Undecided
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(November 3, 2015 at 7:45 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(November 3, 2015 at 7:42 pm)Skeletor Wrote: That may well be - at least in part - because the stuff is getting outlandishly expensive.  If I were feeding a family on a tight budget, beef would certainly not be what's for dinner, you know?

I've heard the arrow of causation goes the other way - that the price of beef has gone up because production has gone down.  Undecided

Could be. It's also inexorably tied to the cost of transportation.
Not to shit in anyone's cereal, but the stat that provides reason for the documentary to exist is sourced from a single study.....with no peer review, and is more than a little bit nuts just on the surface of it (the many, smaller, ancillary claims are just as shady).   Fucking, horrible, "documentary". Fantasy problems, fantasy solutions. It was entertaining and engaging, tho, decent production value. The organizations interviewed needed to send better reps, but probably didn't realize that they were going to be part of a "gotcha" type job.

Basically the vegan Zeitgeist. : sadface :
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!