Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones
Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones
I'll just leave this here...

http://www.oregonlive.com/faith/2015/11/...r_and.html
RE: Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones
Of course. Most Christians lead a hugely un-Christian lifestyle 6 days a week and believe because they go to church on Sunday and occasionally harass women at Planned Parenthood or harass homeowners by preaching door to door kind of thing, that they are morally superior to non-Christians (especially those atheist heathens!). That mindset rubs off on the kids. It's totally fine for them to be nasty little shitheads to their peers so long as they pray real hard in Sunday school.

Athiest kids, on the other hand, are likely raised with the mindset, if your' mean, rude, uncaring, a bully ext... thats on YOU and you won't be forgiven by any higher power for your bad actions so you best be nice and friendly and kind. I'm sure theres some out there, but I can't say I've ever really met a particularly mean atheist. Can't say the same about religious people. Plenty of them have a mean streak in them and feel totally justified in being an asshole because Jesus forgives them.
[Image: 08.jpg]
I was about to start a new thread about the same study, but different article.

Religion Makes Children More Selfish, Say Scientists

Over 1,000 children were studied from around the world. They were primarily either Christian, Muslim, or non-religious. The children were given a chance to play the "dictator game" (where they're given 30 stickers and can freely share any amount they want with an anonymous kid), were asked to judge the "meanness" of people in videos doing things like pushing other people, and their parent's evaluated the kids behavior.

Three take homes:
  • Non-religious kids are less selfish.
  • Religious kids are less judgmental of people being mean to others.
  • Religious parents tend to over-evaluate their own kid's moral behavior.
Go figure.
I believe it.  I was raised very very religious - WAAY out on the lunatic fringe of the right wing-tip, as some of you know.  

So I remember times when I was a jerk: one boy in second grade told me his family never went to church, so my mom had me give him some gospel tracts (cringing - I'm so sorry, Loren . . .);  times when I avoided the catholic and jewish kids, or tried to tell them that "Pioneer Girls" (a xtian alternative to the "evil" (ha) Girl Scouts) was better because we were Christians . . . augh.  I remember watching my mother rudely tell Laura's mother why I couldn't go to Laura's birthday party: "I'm sorry, but we do not associate with non-Christians.".   Laura was the only Jewish girl in my class.  She was probably very sweet and (sigh) . . . lonely.

The meta-message permeated everything in my world: the members of my church were good people.  Nobody else was to be trusted.

Oh, absolutely - - children need to be raised atheist.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
I'd wager that if you just raise a kid to think for themselves, and don't ram a religion down their throat, they'll have a very high probability of becoming atheist. Or maybe one of those harmless deists Wink I'm never having kids. But if I did, I'd just answer their questions as they come up, as honestly and objectively as possible. I'd prepare them for the fact that other people believe in various religions, and give them some basic background on each.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Xtians suck balls.
So, not only does being religious not mean you will have more compassionate kids, it actually means they will be more selfish? I guess that's what abdication of personal responsibility gets you. Say you're sorry on Sunday, and you're good to go.

I wonder exactly how they qualified a religious household, though? I could see my family when I was growing up as going either way.
No surprise here.

What do you expect for people that believe that this life is just a place to wipe your feet for 7 or 8 decades, while waiting to get to the 'real' life that awaits.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(November 6, 2015 at 11:22 am)drfuzzy Wrote: I believe it.  I was raised very very religious - WAAY out on the lunatic fringe of the right wing-tip, as some of you know.  

So I remember times when I was a jerk: one boy in second grade told me his family never went to church, so my mom had me give him some gospel tracts (cringing - I'm so sorry, Loren . . .);  times when I avoided the catholic and jewish kids, or tried to tell them that "Pioneer Girls" (a xtian alternative to the "evil" (ha) Girl Scouts) was better because we were Christians . . . augh.  I remember watching my mother rudely tell Laura's mother why I couldn't go to Laura's birthday party: "I'm sorry, but we do not associate with non-Christians.".   Laura was the only Jewish girl in my class.  She was probably very sweet and (sigh) . . . lonely.

The meta-message permeated everything in my world: the members of my church were good people.  Nobody else was to be trusted.

Oh, absolutely - - children need to be raised atheist.

Yes the smug feeling of misplaced superiority they must feel.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

As if there is any doubt that the single universal appeal of Christianity is its ability to confer a sense of holiness upon exemplars of depravity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4039 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1041 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1578 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... Duty 385 32329 June 8, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3471 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2647 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3515 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Santa and Other Lies to the Kids mlmooney89 25 2654 August 27, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4474 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet