Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are Christians so ignorant of their religions history and it's crimes
Why are Christians so ignorant of their religions history and it's crimes
Just about every time I hear a Christian talking trash about Islam about being violence I enjoy bringing up the past of Christianity. Seems as quite a bit of Christians do this, tend to ignore the bad.
RE: Why are Christians so ignorant of their religions history and it's crimes
(November 14, 2015 at 1:36 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: Just about every time I hear a Christian talking trash about Islam about being violence I enjoy bringing up the past of Christianity. Seems as quite a bit of Christians do this, tend to ignore the bad.
You can't be religious without being a bigot.
(November 14, 2015 at 1:36 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: Just about every time I hear a Christian talking trash about Islam about being violence I enjoy bringing up the past of Christianity. Seems as quite a bit of Christians do this, tend to ignore the bad.

You can't be religious without being a hypocrite and a bigot.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
You don't have to be a bigot to worship here, but it helps! Tongue
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Most religious people don't know sh*t about history, especially about the history of religion. If they wanted to learn stuff - they wouldn't have opted for the fairy-tale version of reality, where emotions are all that matters, while reason is looked down upon.

And of course - churches make sure, that their flocks never have to learn, by providing easily understandable and emotionally pleasing propaganda.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I've always said that if schools started teaching history and facts about Christianity, there would be an uproar. In the US at least.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Hi godzilla_22,

As a Christian I acknowledge that a lot of evil has been committed in the name of Christ, both by Catholics and Protestants.  I would argue that the major difference would be, the Quran teaches Muslims to wage jihad, whereas Jesus taught us to pray and sacrifice for our enemies.  So, while many flawed human beings have committed evil in opposition to the teachings of Jesus Christ, other flawed human beings have committed atrocities in agreement with Muhammads teachings.

I would also note for much of the bad history of Christianity, a lot of it was the Catholic church and it was bible believing Christian who were the most persecuted of anyone.
(November 27, 2015 at 3:02 am)washed Wrote:

Hi godzilla_22,

As a Christian I acknowledge that a lot of evil has been committed in the name of Christ, both by Catholics and Protestants.  I would argue that the major difference would be, the Quran teaches Muslims to wage jihad, whereas Jesus taught us to pray and sacrifice for our enemies.  So, while many flawed human beings have committed evil in opposition to the teachings of Jesus Christ, other flawed human beings have committed atrocities in agreement with Muhammads teachings.

I would also note for much of the bad history of Christianity, a lot of it was the Catholic church and it was bible believing Christian who were the most persecuted of anyone.

I'll have to say no to that jesus didn't teach peace he taught violence.

cute cuddly jesus was only added after the fact jesus taught violence in the bible. 

Matthew 5:39

Matthew 26:52

jesus in the bible is not a peace loving being he is more for war than peace  and eye for an eye. 

besides there are christian terrorists that are worse than jihad but they get no media time.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
dyresand:

I'll have to say no to that jesus didn't teach peace he taught violence.

cute cuddly jesus was only added after the fact jesus taught violence in the bible. 

jesus in the bible is not a peace loving being he is more for war than peace  and eye for an eye. 

besides there are christian terrorists that are worse than jihad but they get no media time.
[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus didn't teach us to be violent towards people, but actually to love them and sacrifice even when you're being persecuted.  The verses you quoted prove that point, I am kind of confused why you brought them up:

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

That Jesus said that those who live by the sword will die by the sword doesn't advocate violence, it condemns it, and it also warns of the consequences that violence has for human beings. As far as Christian terrorists are concerned, I wasn't saying that people who call themselves Christians don't do horrible things, it was that Jesus never taught us to do those things. He taught us to love our neighbor and to forgive those who have hurt us.
(November 27, 2015 at 3:17 am)washed Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus didn't teach us to be violent towards people, but actually to love them and sacrifice even when you're being persecuted.  The verses you quoted prove that point, I am kind of confused why you brought them up:

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Quote:That Jesus said that those who live by the sword will die by the sword doesn't advocate violence, it condemns it, and it also warns of the consequences that violence has for human beings.  As far as Christian terrorists are concerned, I wasn't saying that people who call themselves Christians don't do horrible things, it was that Jesus never taught us to do those things.  He taught us to love our neighbor and to forgive those who have hurt us.
If you don't love Jesus he says that he will toss your butt into the fire.  When he returns he will torture everyone, kill all life, and destroy the planet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1248 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Covid-19 lowered the number of crimes WinterHold 33 2612 April 29, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1854 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What book has the most history? georgecarlin 43 5631 May 13, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2783 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3487 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11138 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10879 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8532 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray