Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spiritual but not Religious (SBNR)
Spiritual but not Religious (SBNR)
What do you think about people who say they are "Spiritual but not Religious"?

They are not atheist, or religious or even agnostic... do their views actually hold up?

I think they believe in a higher power, but do not endorse any religion or creed as such.
RE: Spiritual but not Religious (SBNR)
I think they are mightily confused.
To the extent necessary (decreasingly, obviously over the years) I employed it when I washed up in 12 Steppers. RR eschews it, but they weren't around yet when I cratered.

I'm not hostile to fellow 12 Steppers that find it useful/necessary, there being some psychology behind it's employ with addicts. 12 Steppers don't, as a habit, divulge the psych angle rationale, but I have been known to.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think spiritual but not religious mostly means that you are some kind of agnostic deist and have some spiritual beliefs, usually influenced by paganism and neo-paganism.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

As long as they treat me decently, I don't care one way or the other what they believe.

Their beliefs do not make any sense though!
Yeah, as long as they're not hurting anyone, they can get on with it.

I view spirituality as an imaginary extension of reality for people who find regular reality either too boring or too complicated.

Quite right, it's a load of rubbish. But they hold onto it most likely for emotional reasons, or because they were brought up that way.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 21, 2015 at 3:06 pm)robvalue Wrote: But they hold onto it most likely for emotional reasons, or because they were brought up that way.

.....or, imagine that, quite possibly, that they have had experiences in life that made them arrive at this belief? You know, a crazy notion, maybe they actually think it's true?

I don't mean to be rude, and I'm sorry if I come off that way, but it's a bit like when theists say that atheists disbelieve because they're angry at god or hate rules. Don't get me wrong, I have been guilty of saying that many times and it may not be a very popular sentiment, but I don't think it's very fair.
Sure. When I say "emotional reasons" that could well be that they've had an experience, and it makes them feel such and such is true. I'm not saying they are consciously choosing to believe it for bad reasons.

I would love to know exactly what they think is true, though. No one has ever been able to tell me in terms that make any sense.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Spirituality is kind of the opposite of Occam's razor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1849 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Poland will get the support of Vatican in the course of the spiritual re-union... abija 9 3067 June 22, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 6002 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4909 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ask A Spiritual Satanist... Sail Hatan 59 14991 September 18, 2015 at 5:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Spiritual Satanism Sail Hatan 20 3837 September 14, 2015 at 3:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  So..... Not Only God but a Court Says "FUCK YOU." Minimalist 53 10495 March 12, 2015 at 3:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15419 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious? Whateverist 0 1376 August 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  is it okay if im a theist but not any religions? leodeo 10 3114 November 20, 2013 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01