Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Guitarists Here?
Any Guitarists Here?
I've been playing off and on since September of 2008, mostly just blues and metal music. Anyone here play, and if so, what kind of music do you play?
RE: Any Guitarists Here?
Yeah, though I haven't picked up a guitar in a couple of years (long story). Blues and metal mostly.
Then there is Thumpa.
I'd love to learn to play but have absolutely NO musical talent.
Dying to live, living to die.
Stringed instruments (excluding piano) elude me like no one's business. I started playing the piano before I have conscious memory; started playing saxophone when I was twelve; voice lessons starting at fourteen; picked up any wind or brass instrument sent my way; I was a Music major (performance- piano and voice) in college; two years of guitar lessons... but nothing. All I can play is the doo doo du doooooo opening from Metallica's One, and even that's crappy.

People who can play guitar, even badly, never cease to impress me.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I put down the guitar about three years ago. A party at my drummer's house turned into a late night jam session and by the time I got to the basement, two guitars were going with a couple more guys waiting their turn (had a keyboard player in the mix too). Wanting to play rather than wait a turn I grabbed the available bass off the wall and jumped in. I fell in love.

When I was playing guitar I typically played in the grey area between hard rock and metal (Sabbath, G 'n' R, Pantera, AC/DC, Priest, Maiden, etc.). Playing bass has opened my ear to other genres. Jamerson, Babbitt and Dunn laid down some sweet lines. 70s funk is fun as hell on bass. Until a month ago I lived in NYC where I joined a straight up classic rock band.

My acoustic is still my weapon of choice for learning new songs; i.e., nailing down song structure, chord progressions and melody lines.
I mainly play bass guitar, but I'm no stranger to regular 6-strings. I've played a bunch of drastically different styles, from grunge/indie to progressive/art rock, folk-rock, reggae, electronica and more. Haven't been playing much over the past few years, because trying to combine a full time chefing job, with bohemian life-style of an unsuccessful musician turns out not to be as much of a picnic, as one would hope...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I play guitar but I mostly practice music theory and chords, so that I way I can make my own music eventually.
Bluegrass, Flamenco, and Classical.   

Empress, try an appalachian dulcimer (lap or stick).  3 strings, two of which are droning, with generously proportioned frets.  It's incapable of playing anything but full notes, and only one string needs be played.  The others will provide a can't-fail harmony by the simple act of being strummed.  Lap dulcimers, particularly, have an inimitable sound, as a bonus. Being as they have only three strings, and that most us us don't have particularly strong or dextrous pinkies, it also lends itself to a fingerpicking style that's mechanically simple to pull off. The notes follow a simple "do ray mi" progression on the fretboards, common to our own voices, so improv is blissfully easy. You can even make one yourself, out of anything. All that's important is the length of the fretboard and the position of the fret piping along that length. Then you buy three sets of strings. DAA is my favorite, though DGd and DAD are popular.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Played for the last 20 years, mostly heavy rock or metal, but I'll turn my fingers to anything really.

Have to stop buying guitars/amps/pedals though, it's a fetish that won't go away.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any writers here (or readers, especially of Fantasy or Magic Realism)? Jillybean 27 865 March 6, 2024 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Any Artsie People On Here? Court Jester 20 2023 September 24, 2017 at 5:25 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Any Musical Theater Lovers Here? camlov2019 7 964 January 1, 2017 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Any fans of vocaloid here? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 12 2285 November 25, 2015 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Favorite Guitarists Paul the Human 23 5809 May 24, 2010 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Meatball