Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huffington post article today: "My Emancipation from American Christianity"
Huffington post article today: "My Emancipation from American Christianity"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-pavlo...18400.html

This one is getting a lot of facebook traction today.

In this article, the author describes the feeling of being driven away from American Christianity. He speaks of rejecting the fear, the xenophobia, the threats of hell, the judgmental-ism, the rejection of everything non-christian, etc.  He discusses the feeling of being freed to worship a god that is greater.

>>  Well, those of us here who were raised religious probably understand this feeling all too well.  I remember it.  But here is the problem as I have lived it: you have to reject the bible to actually embrace this mindset.  Now, I know that a lot of folks that embrace this stance have never actually read the bible.  They hear a verse or two that is "oh so inspiring" on Sundays sometimes.  But that mindset of "a god that is greater" is going to take a hell of a lot of cherry picking to hang on to. They will have to reject the entire OT, as well as most of what Jesus AND Paul supposedly said.  They might as well go Unitarian, or just call themselves New Age Pagans who follow some of the teachings of Jesus.

I think that the state described is, for many, the last stepping stone into atheism.  Just give these folks a good dose of modern science and <poof!> = newbie atheist.  And I think a lot of liberal "mega-church" members are at this state: they go to services for the camaraderie, not to learn about the bible.  How many of them will lose the last vestiges of their faith, as I did?

Thoughts?
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Huffington post article today: "My Emancipation from American Christianity"
Out of the entire world population of Christians it's doubtful if more than five follow more than a few of Jesus' sayings in the Sermon on the Mount. They might not kill, they might not get divorced, they might not commit actual adultery and that's about it.
(December 5, 2015 at 1:45 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Out of the entire world population of Christians it's doubtful if more than five follow more than a few of Jesus' sayings in the Sermon on the Mount.  They might not kill, they might not get divorced, they might not commit actual adultery and that's about it.

And forget about "judge not lest ye be judged."

Of course, it's not really them doing the judging but their god . . . so they say. Somehow, I find their hiding behind their god to express their own prejudices and judgments about others much more contemptible than if they just openly passed judgment on others and owned it.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to all Christians, but it's safe to say that it applies to many.
So much of the bible contradicts other parts of the bible, is it even possible for a person to follow it, literally?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(December 5, 2015 at 6:15 pm)Aroura Wrote: So much of the bible contradicts other parts of the bible, is it even possible for a person to follow it, literally?

That isn't a problem for atheists, is it ??

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 5, 2015 at 6:15 pm)Aroura Wrote: So much of the bible contradicts other parts of the bible, is it even possible for a person to follow it, literally?
The Bible & the Koran are all about believing and obeying without exception.  Since all rulers are appointed by God (according to the fairy tales) people are required to obey whatever they command, even if it goes against a person's own judgment.  When a ruler gives a command it's the same as God giving it.  So if he says kill everyone and burn down their towns that's exactly what his minions are expected to do.  And all kinds of people throughout history have done exactly that [/size][size=x-large]although they, themselves, have nothing or very little to gain from doing those things. Likewise, if the ruler says to be nice to the people over the hill that's exactly what they are expected to do.  So when the leaders from alliances with distant people his subjects treat them as friends even though they might be despicable people.

All holy books teach compliance and obediance to whatever the big wig says.  That's all that matters.  It has nothing at all to do with what's right or wrong because the people don't get the opportunity to decide for themselves.  They do as they're told to do.  

The bottom line is to believe and obey without exception.  Any deviation is a "sin" (crime, treason, insurrection, rebellion) and it may result in you losing your head.
I'll gladly reject the fucking bible.

Piece of shit.
(December 5, 2015 at 10:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'll gladly reject the fucking bible.

Piece of shit.

You are a sad man, you reject that which you don't understand
Fuck you, too.....ignorant jackass.
(December 5, 2015 at 10:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Fuck you, too.....ignorant jackass.

Look at you, all mad and what not. How you gon call me ignorant when you got stuff in your prof picture that I'm sure you dont understand

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8272 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading drfuzzy 13 2261 January 29, 2018 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  I am confused by American christians downbeatplumb 60 11915 October 1, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  A Good Article on David Fitzgerald's New Book Minimalist 1 1278 April 20, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Um, should we do anything special today (Maundy Thursday) ?? vorlon13 27 5057 April 14, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  I went to church today Longhorn 30 6468 August 24, 2016 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Good article on fundamentalism drfuzzy 8 1202 August 4, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  encounter with a fundie homeschooler today - just sharing drfuzzy 43 8398 February 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6800 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Not a bad article. Minimalist 9 2362 November 28, 2015 at 3:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus