Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is what we think emotional or intellectual?
Is what we think emotional or intellectual?
If we're arguing about politics or something, sometimes we get emotional. Why? If what we know is fact why would disavowal conflict with our thoughts and feelings? This is more of a question about psychology. It's interesting to me to think, if we know that our political points of view are more psychological than factual, wouldn't that information free us from the emotional strain? 

I guess how we arrive to any point of view is a matter of personal endeavor. So if our intellectual values are psychological, wouldn't that also follow that being liberal or conservative is also a mindset? I was wondering earlier today whether or not being conservative serves any purpose. It seems like so much conservative argument comes from really shortsighted mindset.

You may be wondering, where are you coming from with this issue DespondentFishdeathMasochismo? Well, I argue all the time on the internet. I was in a Counterstrike: Source server today, called n00b hideout. I go to this server every day, sometimes the discourse is polite, sometimes there's lots of really awful name calling and stupid arguments.

I think in the end, it's best to remember that people focus on petty differences a lot, without really having any common goal. Some people just aren't worth your time, that's the lesson here. What I really want to be focusing on though is the psychology of these sorts of things. How come when you argue it makes you feel emotional, how come emotions are so deeply intertwined with what seems to be deceivingly "intellectual" subjects?
RE: Is what we think emotional or intellectual?
Yes. Both of course. Thinking is always motivated by something. If you didn't care, you wouldn't bother.

Welcome back by the way.
I was going to say "the answer to the question in the title is 'yes'." Good to see the great minds thing is alive and well.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Thanks you two for not making me post.

Ah, damn it!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It depends, if they agree with me they are probably being intellectual.

If they disagree I'd say they are using too much emotion in their thought process.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Ugh yikes. I hate these replies. Here I thought I had an interesting topic.
You do. Those who responded did so just as genuinely as did you - I know I did. I suggest taking a breath and holding it for a count of ten, then pretending that other people are just as entitled to their opinion as you are of yours. This isn't just singling you out for vendetta, either; I have to keep drilling this into a person I know in real life as well.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
The vast majority of the world is full of people who have none or little control over their emotions.
Just ask all those in jails who murdered, maimed or bashed in the heat of the moment.

Emo's without the black lipstick and nailpolish.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 14, 2015 at 10:37 pm)Stimbo Wrote: You do. Those who responded did so just as genuinely as did you - I know I did. I suggest taking a breath and holding it for a count of ten, then pretending that other people are just as entitled to their opinion as you are of yours. This isn't just singling you out for vendetta, either; I have to keep drilling this into a person I know in real life as well.
I guess it just seems like people only read the title of the thread and not the 4 paragraphs I worked on.
When we are arguing about ideas we identify with, then any argument is not really just an intellectual point, but an attack and defense on one's view of self.

If my whole family have taught me to be a "God-fearing Christian," and someone comes along and says, "Use your brain, obviously the Bible is full of shit," then will I simply disagree? No. My whole reality is being questioned.

Should people change their world views easily? No-- it takes a lot of mental effort, and perhaps even a complete intellectual/emotional breakdown, to complete rewrite one's world view. Only when there is just no place to hide will most people even consider that their view of reality is flawed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement? Duty 30 2834 September 12, 2020 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  atheism, philosophy and emotional immaturity jstrodel 120 30672 April 9, 2013 at 8:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger