Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what would make you change your beliefs?
Question 
what would make you change your beliefs?
My question here is: In what instance would your (non) believes be false?

ex: If God appeared before me and said "hey, fuck you, man, I exist" Thought that's pretty ridiculous it would obviously prove me wrong (unless I was hallucinating and depending on what god, he probably wouldn't say "fuck you")

I hope that makes sense. Oh, and if this thread is in the wrong place, I apologize, but it makes sense to me.
RE: what would make you change your beliefs?
I've often asked myself this question. What would convince me that there really is a god?

It would take a lot. Someone appearing and claiming to be god isn't good enough. Which god? How do I know you aren't lying? Nice tricks. How did you do that?

If it truly were god, I'm pretty sure he could convince me eventually, but I can't imagine any one singular thing that would do it.
God: "hey, fuck you, man, I exist. I am God"
Me: "So, is it just a name or do you claim supernatural attributes?"
God: "My attributes come to me naturally"
Me: "So you sort of just blend in with nature?"
God: "Sure!"
Me: "And you do not break any laws of nature as a hobby?"
God: "Hell no, I love nature."
Me: "And you don't claim any authorithy on moral absolutes"
God: "I am a devout relativist, absolutes have no meaning."
Me: "And you don't like to monitor what people are doing in their bedrooms and thinking in their heads?"
God: "That's just sick!"
Me: "You seem a nice guy. Maybe we should drink a beer some time."
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Nothing short of the very laws of reality breaking down would shake my faith in the natural world. And faith is used very, very loosely.

More like paradigm.
There can be no physical manifestation that could ever convince you of the existence of the Christian God. It is only your personal rational conclusions that influence your belief one way or the other.
God would have to appear and give me undeniable proof he existed.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
(July 4, 2010 at 12:05 pm)chasm Wrote: God would have to appear and give me undeniable proof he existed.
Not possible
(July 4, 2010 at 12:11 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(July 4, 2010 at 12:05 pm)chasm Wrote: God would have to appear and give me undeniable proof he existed.
Not possible

Duh. Wink ShadesCool ShadesExclamation
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
What would convince me? Evidence.
Nothing less.

No quotes/verses, pretend evidence, baseless assertions that theists use as evidence for another baseless assertion (which isn't really evidence) or books.

Evidence.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Haha! Big Grin (@ chasm)

@ Ace : I've told you before Ace - that type of assertion belongs over on scienceforums.org ...wrong class dude! Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2921 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Wash your hands or do not wash your hands when you eat Ferrocyanide 48 3118 October 19, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78706 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 993 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Is a sea change on the horizon? Angrboda 5 593 July 22, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4050 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2568 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11631 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3333 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4641 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet