Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is 'objective' value?
What is 'objective' value?
I think the language we use when talking about value muddies up the waters, allowing for 'objective value' talks to slide in as a thing.  And I think it's because of the way we talk about subjective value as an abstract idea when the reality is it's no such thing.

What is subjective value really?  

It is a tangible biological process of evaluating the desires of an individual in a moment.  Really, it is only subjective in the sense that the scope only applies to one person in that moment.  But really, it is a fact.  A measurable truth, no different than eye color or gravity.  Person A at moment B values C.

So what is objective value.  Where does that exist?  How does it not contradict the truth that is the individuals tangible values?  

If I have blue eyes, Bob has green eyes, and Tim has yellow eyes.  The idea of a universal eye color is nonsense.  By describing things as tangible instead of opinions, it leaves no room for an overarching objective value to exist.

--
Am I missing anything here?
RE: What is 'objective' value?
Value can mean preferred which is inherently subjective. Objective value, is a mathematical value we assign to describe objective criteria. My height has a value of 5.5 inches. That's an objective value (so is my weight, age, and chemical composition), but it's not what we mean when we say people are valuable. The decision to value people is a subjective determination. Nothing has inherent subjective value. Theists in particular often confuse numeric or objectively descriptive traits with subjective preferences for certain traits. But it is a very different use of the word value. The first means a single choice among variables, the second how much a particular person or group likes some trait or group of traits.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
@OP

It's a good question, since these days, mind is seen by many as an objective process-- just the brain and its parts doing their little physico-chemical dance, with outputted behavior therefore being deterministic. In this context, I guess you'd have to say that "subjective" ideas are those which are dependent on the function of an individual person, and "objective" those which are not. So most people would say that the sun's color is objective, while the best color is subjective.

It's a bit of a philosophical paradox, in my opinion, when the human mind is called both subjective and objective, because those words are meant to be polar opposites.
It means that something is inherently valuable... that is, valuable by its very nature.

I believe human life is objectively valuable.

That means that even if not a single person cares about Joe's life, for example, his life still has value. In the same way that water is inherently wet, human life is inherently valuable. They are those things by their very nature.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Valuing something is placing it within the context of a plan or purpose. Things are always valuable to be used toward some goal. This is the province of intention. Without some form of goal directing the valuation of the thing, the thing is without value. So no, a thing can't be inherently valuable as value implies the designs of an intentioning agent.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: It means that something is inherently valuable... that is, valuable by its very nature.

That means that even if not a single person cares about Joe's life, for example, his life still has value. In the same way that water is inherently wet, human life is inherently valuable. They are those things by their very nature.
I disagree. Most humans value most human life. We've evolved as a social species, so that makes sense, But if Joe is an ax murderer, most humans won't value Joe's life precisely because we've evolved as a social species. Other than human sentiment, Joe's life has no value inherent or otherwise.

What is it about human life that makes it intrinsically valuable? Is other life intrinsically valuable? Why and to whom? Don't make any subjective judgments. Even if the answer is to God, you'll find his purported reasons are subjective.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(January 10, 2016 at 9:22 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Valuing something is placing it within the context of a plan or purpose.  Things are always valuable to be used toward some goal.  This is the province of intention.  Without some form of goal directing the valuation of the thing, the thing is without value.  So no, a thing can't be inherently valuable as value implies the designs of an intentioning agent.
Unless of course intentionality is already an inherent part of reality.
(January 10, 2016 at 10:03 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(January 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: It means that something is inherently valuable... that is, valuable by its very nature.

I disagree.  Most humans value most human life.  We've evolved as a social species, so that makes sense,  But if Joe is an ax murderer,  most humans won't value Joe's life precisely because we've evolved as a social species.  Other than human sentiment, Joe's life has no value inherent or otherwise.  

What is it about human life that makes it intrinsically valuable?  Is other life intrinsically valuable?  Why and to whom? Don't make any subjective judgments. Even if the answer is to God, you'll find his purported reasons are subjective.

The belief that life is inherently, objectively valuable isn't one that makes sense to have if you're an atheist, since you don't believe in a God to assign value to it. So I understand why you disagree with me here, and if I was an atheist I'd think the same as you if I was really being honest with myself.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I think there's no such thing as objective value, where value is used to mean a judgement rather than a measurement. Judgements, by definition, are subjective.

A measurement is something where a prescribed method is used and the answer should be the same no matter who does the measuring, if done correctly.

So if you did want to measure the "objective value" of something, you'd have to develop some sort of formula which defines that value. For an extremely rough example, I could say the "value" of a human life is equal to (150 - age in years). Now anyone could measure the "value" of a particular human at a particular point in time, and they would all get the same result. Of course, there is no guarantee this "value" means anything useful since any particular formula you set up is arbitrary. That value is also abstractly "there" even with no one to measure it, according to this formula.

However, with no agreed method to measure value, each person will come up with their own idea. And with no one to to do the judging, we're left with no judgement and hence no value.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 10, 2016 at 10:12 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(January 10, 2016 at 9:22 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Valuing something is placing it within the context of a plan or purpose.  Things are always valuable to be used toward some goal.  This is the province of intention.  Without some form of goal directing the valuation of the thing, the thing is without value.  So no, a thing can't be inherently valuable as value implies the designs of an intentioning agent.
Unless of course intentionality is already an inherent part of reality.

Been reading Depak again?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3150 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2214 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5732 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8312 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13750 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4445 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. Mystic 210 24587 November 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Autonomous vehicle objective morality! ignoramus 0 804 July 26, 2017 at 5:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is morality objective or subjective? SuperSentient 50 11462 May 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On the consistent use of "objective" and "subjective" Ignorant 22 4313 November 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet