Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF Members with Kids, Whatcha Think?
AF Members with Kids, Whatcha Think?
Are we giving to much power to our kids? Is this to the point or a piece of crap? Kinda tired of parent blaming.

http://www.macleans.ca/society/the-colla...o-grow-up/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: AF Members with Kids, Whatcha Think?
Looks like it's fairly consistent with John Rosemond's take on parenting.

Despite not having kids of my own (ICK !!!) I'm a big fan of John Rosemond. Have several friends that dearly needed his advice and it's a shame it didn't happen.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Ask me again in 6 years Big Grin

But this is no black and white issue for me, I think I'll give my kid(s) as much choice as possible in certain matters to show them that I take them and their concern seriously to a certain extent, and will simply insist on other things, such as that we eat at the table together etc.

According to reliable sources it is however not a good idea to force children to always eat up, but that's a slightly different story.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Mine are well into their teens. I don't know exactly where we fit according to the article's scheme of things.

We've never negotiated on established rules. Nor have we had any real food wars. Don't want peas? Fine. No seconds of anything else and no snacks until next meal. Fairly simple especially if you allow them to substitute a similarly healthy vegetable if there's one available. Couldn't make them sleep, but I could make them stay quietly in bed in the dark.

But we’ve also always given them more freedom earlier than their peers---including the freedom to fall flat on their faces, literally and figuratively. Failure is a good teacher. Trying and succeeding, is the best confidence builder especially if it takes a few tries.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I allowed my son to exercise age-appropriate discretion, but made no bones about my authority. I would entertain his views, change my mind if it was sensible to do so, but if I made a decision the expectation of his following it was clear.

For meals, dessert followed dinner. If he didn't finish his dinner, it wasn't served. He's always enjoyed vegetables, so that wasn't an issue.

I plan to cook together with my daughter from time to time as soon as possible (I am the principal cook of this here household). I think that this strongly influences the relationship to meals (not seeing them as something that you receive and have to accept passively). I remember not liking whole grain stuff, but when my mum spent a weekend baking stuff together with me, I was pretty fascinated by it and, of course, eagerly ate the products of my work.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Kids today ain't worth shit.
(January 18, 2016 at 6:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Kids today ain't worth shit.

Spoken like a true old coot. Get off my lawn.
I've given several talks in High Schools (of the same type I attended) during the past years, and I had the impression that the kids today are smarter than we were 15 years ago.

I just drive by them. Try to use a different vehicle as often as possible. Damn cameras.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cats & Kids - beautiful ignoramus 1 312 October 13, 2017 at 6:06 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Best Educational Kids Shows? ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 6 1492 July 25, 2015 at 12:56 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  1980's kids: this is your thread.... c172 80 7656 June 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Vicar tells kids Santa isn't real! Norfolk And Chance 5 1715 December 18, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Aint No Rest (Members Only) Cinjin 32 8180 April 15, 2014 at 10:30 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Christian kids music top ten. Autechre 9 2615 July 23, 2011 at 6:51 am
Last Post: TheAtheistTroll
  Tory MP Chris Kelly Caught Getting Kids to Stroke his Cock. leo-rcc 4 1819 August 27, 2010 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist