Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End Poverty with Vocations?!
End Poverty with Vocations?!
We know there is a lot of poverty in the USA.

It's a shame really. We have tried to help the poor for about 70 years with not a ton to show for it. Undecided

I have an idea though. Vocations!! Smile 

What if in the despairing cities of Detroit, Milwaukee, North Minneapolis, Compton, South side of chicago etc. What if.. a flourishing of monastacism took place?

What if many young men and women were moved by the holy spirit ( Or Buddha I guess... Dodgy ) to become monks and nuns? In the middle ages monks and nuns helped develop civilizaiton, by opening schools and researching medicine.

If young poor people in the USA were moved to become monks and nuns more, wouldn't that do a lot of good? Many people would be purged from wellfare roles ( the abbot/abbess would provide for them) but they would become sort of like social service workers themselves Smile Smile 

Moreover, since they would not reproduce, there wouldn't be as many out of wedlock babies  and things like that. The surplus population would decrease and there would be fewer mouths to feed.

Buddhist and Catholic monastries would indeed serve as a form of contraception that produces good fruit!

I am so excited.. I think  I have palpitations!!! Smile

Well?
RE: End Poverty with Vocations?!
The last thing they need are more vacations.
(January 19, 2016 at 12:27 am)Minimalist Wrote: The last thing they need are more vacations.

I second that and also what about all those churches that pull millions of dollars why don't they help the poor 
or better yet why doesn't the church take in the poor and homeless helping them.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 19, 2016 at 12:26 am)TrueChristian Wrote: We know there is a lot of poverty in the USA.

It's a shame really. We have tried to help the poor for about 70 years with not a ton to show for it. Undecided

What if in the despairing cities of Detroit, Milwaukee, North Minneapolis, Compton, South side of chicago etc. What if.. a flourishing of monastacism took place?

What if many young men and women were moved by the holy spirit ( Or Buddha I guess... Dodgy ) to become monks and nuns? In the middle ages monks and nuns helped develop civilizaiton, by opening schools and researching medicine.

If young poor people in the USA were moved to become monks and nuns more, wouldn't that do a lot of good? Many people would be purged from wellfare roles ( the abbot/abbess would provide for them) but they would become sort of like social service workers themselves Smile Smile 

Moreover, since they would not reproduce, there wouldn't be as many out of wedlock babies  and things like that. The surplus population would decrease and there would be fewer mouths to feed.

Buddhist and Catholic monastries would indeed serve as a form of contraception that produces good fruit!

Well?

Lead the way by becoming your first convert.  I'll even buy you a big wig so that you will feel important.
[Image: nonsense-chart-6.jpg]

Checkmate again TC.

Current score:

Me: 8 sets

You: 0
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(January 19, 2016 at 12:26 am)TrueChristian Wrote: We know there is a lot of poverty in the USA.

Well?

Have you ever tried to help someone who's Job is to be homeless or poor? I spent the first part of my Christian life doing this, and their is one thing I've learned.. That their is a freedom that the poor and homeless enjoy that most people with jobs will never truly understand. this freedom means more than life itself in some cases. This freedom however can not exist in any form of structured society. In essence the cost of this freedom is separation from any structured form of work or responsibility. As such you will NEVER talk someone into a job who sole purpose in life is to enjoy this 'freedom' for any length of time beyond what they have to do in order to get back to the 'freedom' they love.
^ But there is enormous poverty in our inner cities. Don't you think if more inner city folks became monks and nuns, our sciety would be better off?

They at least wold be more likely to go to heaven!
[Image: IMG_6783.jpg]
(January 20, 2016 at 10:49 am)TrueChristian Wrote: ^  But there is enormous poverty in our inner cities. Don't you think if more inner city folks became monks and nuns, our sciety would be better off?

They at least wold be more likely to go to heaven!

Not the issue. If people in the inner city (which is the focus of my ministry for 10+ years) do not want to take a full time job because it infringes on their 'freedom' from just a time perspective, (they would have less time to be involved with the things they would like to do with said freedom) then why would they swear an oath that would target and remove the behavior that they generally want to spend their 'freedom' doing?

The problem you don't seem to get is the poor and homeless for the most part choose to be that way because it affords them a lifestyle they want more than the conformity driven lifestyles all other social placements demand.

It is a completely different mind set, one you have to experience over a period of time to see and understand. Some members of society simply do not want to live a life that demands anything from them. for them it is preferable to be poor/homeless with their illusion of freedom, than to be rich, and tied to a job or responsibility.
I suppose Im talking about it from a sociological persepctive. If poor people were joining convents and monastaries more, there would be less poor people

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7806 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I dreamt that when you die, you end up flying in darkness. But in the midst of it Edge92 27 1741 June 12, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Thumbs Down END TIMES COMPENDIUM IAOALGIV 111 24158 August 23, 2017 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14171 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 15724 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Duggar Fuctards Can't Wait For The End of the World Minimalist 55 10407 October 13, 2016 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  If in the end, you found that god really existed... Pyrrho 33 6522 June 4, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Enoch and the Mayans - Calculating the time of the End of Days StrongWaters 24 6864 December 10, 2013 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  View from up my end: New Church crisis looming Cyberman 11 5615 March 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The end of the world Manowar 320 89256 October 25, 2011 at 11:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger