Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm me
Hi, I'm me
I was raised Jehovah's Witness, finally got around to reading the bible, and now I'm an atheist. I'm also an ordained minister, so everyone reading this post is officially absolved of all their sins as per my EULA.

I have a disturbing tendency to call things what they are and have done work in the fields of psychology and sociology among others. Now I work with computers, they are slightly less annoying than people.
RE: Hi, I'm me
Oh, welcome, though, I have seen other posts of yours around.

So, you hadn't read the bible the entire time you were a Witness and when you did you became an atheist? that's pretty awesome. I mean the fact that it was just reading the bible that changed your mind about religion. Not that I see any reason why it shouldn't, but it doesn't always.

yay! I have no sins! Worship oh, wait, Dodgy it wasn't something I was worried about.

anyway, welcome.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(July 8, 2010 at 3:31 pm)Cego_Colher Wrote: So, you hadn't read the bible the entire time you were a Witness and when you did you became an atheist? that's pretty awesome. I mean the fact that it was just reading the bible that changed your mind about religion. Not that I see any reason why it shouldn't, but it doesn't always.

It's not uncommon at all from what I've heard from other ex-Christians. The road to reason often starts with reading the Bible cover-to-cover.

You'd think that anyone who believes that God wrote a book would make reading that book completely one of their top priorities but apparently not. I mean, forget the salvation message, just the credentials that the Creator of the Universe wrote a book should make it a must-read for everyone.

Welcome In This Mind. And thanks for the absolution.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 8, 2010 at 3:36 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: It's not uncommon at all from what I've heard from other ex-Christians. The road to reason often starts with reading the Bible cover-to-cover.

You'd think that anyone who believes that God wrote a book would make reading that book completely one of their top priorities but apparently not. I mean, forget the salvation message, just the credentials that the Creator of the Universe wrote a book should make it a must-read for everyone.

Normally the preacher just reads passages and tells them "everything is righteous and true" and "The Bible is God's word, and God's word is holy and true" and says things like "No contradictions", and that satisfies most Christians.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Welcome, In This Mind. You are the first ex-Jehovah's Witness that I have ever encountered (that I know of). In fact, the only Jehovah's Witnesses I have ever encountered were the ones I have refused to invite into my house. I have read some of the literature that they have left behind, though. Interesting stuff. I look forward to hearing more about it.
(July 8, 2010 at 3:31 pm)Cego_Colher Wrote: So, you hadn't read the bible the entire time you were a Witness

Never in it's entirety, just the bits and pieces here and there the Brothers cited during their sermons.
Glad to meet you, ITM. I'm an ex-Jehovah's Witness myself.

Come on in -- there's plenty of room on the Kingdom Hall lawn for more squatting chocolate cigars.
God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.
(July 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm)In This Mind Wrote: I was raised Jehovah's Witness, finally got around to reading the bible, and now I'm an atheist. I'm also an ordained minister, so everyone reading this post is officially absolved of all their sins as per my EULA.
Thanks, I'm feeling better alreadyAngel
Quote: Now I work with computers, they are slightly less annoying than people.
True, unlike people,you usually only have to punch the information into them once.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Hi, welcome.

EvF
Quote:Now I work with computers, they are slightly less annoying than people.

Much less annoying than people, I'd say.

Welcome to our clubhouse.