Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone. I've finally worked out...
Hello everyone. I've finally worked out...
why theists bug me.

Hello everyone, FebruaryOfReason here.

Posting for the first time. I have just been in an argument on another board far far away, with a theist, and finally worked out why they get under my skin so much.

I studied Chemistry at college, spent a long time doing it actually. Everything I knew had to be patiently investigated and checked. It had to be consistent with many other things before it was treated as reliable. If our opinions (hypotheses, call them what you will) were not consistent with observable fact, we often had to go back to square one. The careful standardisation so others could repeat what we did. The rigourous nomenclature that ensured we all knew exactly what we were referring to. We put a lot of effort into checking that what we said was right.

Then someone gets to tell me that everything I think is wrong, just because they've got a book of made-up rubbish from thousands of years ago? Full of translation errors, bits that even they don't believe in? Bits that contradict what was said in the previous sentence, bits that for centuries people believed to be literally true and now everyone is saying are "just a metaphor" because they are so obviously, indefensibly ridiculous and only now can we say it without getting burned to death?

Sod that.

And whenever I try to show them the years of reasoning that were required just to get to the point of basic knowledge about how things work and combine (or why they don't), how they explain in minute detail, how they even anticipate subsequent discoveries, that person just gets to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la I'm not listening", and claim that attitude - the ability to carry on thinking exactly the same thing when the facts show that you are wrong- as a virtue?

That is why theists bug me.

Rant over.
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
RE: Hello everyone. I've finally worked out...
Welcome to religious debates on the internet ^_^

And also to this forum, of course.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Quote: That is why theists bug me.

Good enough.

I find them arrogant, ignorant, assholes but your way works too.
Welcome FoR!

There's a bunch of theists on here that'll most likely bug you as well.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Hey there FoR! Welcome
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome!

Note that you can only change name once a year, so after March of Reason you have to wait...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome from Tennessee in the US!

Chemistry, huh? What do you do, if you don't mind me asking?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome. Interesting nickname. I love it. Don't change it.
Welcome!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 790 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1412 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2174 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5648 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1893 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7841 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello everybody! just came out as an atheist. JeffY 14 2627 April 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2618 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3838 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1231 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod