Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The domestication of religion.
The domestication of religion.
In particular, Christianity.  It's a phrase that I got from Daniel Dennett.  Consider this:

Quote:773  Condemned Error:  33. That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit.

http://patristica.net/denzinger/

Now, this:

Quote:ROME (RNS) The Vatican has given its backing to a central Rome square being named after Martin Luther, a church reformer excommunicated by the pope nearly 500 years ago.

http://www.religionnews.com/2015/08/26/v...in-luther/

Dawkins, in his The God Delusion, called deism "sexed-up atheism"; is the future of religion, all religions, just "fill-in-the-blank" atheism?  Kind of reminds me of that South Park episode.
RE: The domestication of religion.
That would be pretty awesome. I think deism is much less harmful all round. It's also entirely consistent with scientific knowledge, which can't be said of almost any other form of theism.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Christianity seems to be evolving towards deism or at least a universal theism, one in which there is no judgment, retribution, hell, etc.  No (or at least very few) Christian sects even represent their so-called counterparts from four or five hundred years ago on some "fundamental" points of doctrine.  Take the fate of infants who die without Baptism -- the Catholic Church, Luther and Calvin all taught that at least some infants would die in infancy and not end-up in Heaven, in the presence of god.
Some of the comments on that article are pretty good.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

We can domesticate them, somewhat, but can they be successfully farmed?
Dying to live, living to die.
Am I the only 1 that finds it weird the Seventh Day Adventists, of which there are apparently none of in Italy, are pushing for the Luther honor there ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 10, 2016 at 11:43 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Am I the only that finds it weird the Seventh Day Adventists, of which there are apparently none of in Italy, are pushing for the Luther honor there ?

All the Amish are gone from Europe, also.  Is there a "religious natural selection" at work here?  Does a religion need a "viable population" before going extinct?
Any fucking religion is fine.
Just don't include any texts or mantras which may be metaphorised to mean something evil or negative.
An almost impossible task.

In fact, as we all know, it's the person interpreting it to suit their own agendas.
This way, they're all good people just doing their God's work....

Isn't this how it works theists?

Hello? Anyone?

Crickets............
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 10, 2016 at 11:40 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: We can domesticate them, somewhat, but can they be successfully farmed?

It's been working for the clergy.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 10, 2016 at 9:06 am)Jehanne Wrote: Dawkins, in his The God Delusion, called deism "sexed-up atheism"; is the future of religion, all religions, just "fill-in-the-blank" atheism?  Kind of reminds me of that South Park episode.

Is Deism actually on the rise?

I remember hearing about a bunch of prominent Deists from several hundred years ago, but not so much now. It seemed to fill the role of answering unanswerable questions without paying credence to any of the world's religions. Now that we have science to start filling those gaps in our knowledge, the need for a creator-god to explain these things gets smaller and smaller.

What other use is there for believing in a non-personal god that doesn't care about us? At least the personal god-claims give the believer a sense of security, love, and/or importance.