Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was about to reply to a post I saw but instead..
I was about to reply to a post I saw but instead..
I'm posting it here. So it might sound a bit off subject at first.

I feel that we are all different and have different views no matter what our beliefs are. Atheist, Christian or ???.

I personally feel that by boxing myself into a label I'm in fact missing out on learning and experiencing more about myself.
If I box myself that mean's I have given up on expanding my intelligence.
If I thought that I knew everything that there is to know, I would prevent myself from learning anything more.

I can think of a billion label's to put upon myself but for the sake of expanding my knowledge/ mental capacity I feel the need to leave that open.

A blank label. I feel more like a chameleon as I have been through many thing's and have thought a billion different thoughts which have taken me in multiple different direction's in life. I have always felt "alien" or "foreign" to society. Society must know who and what we are through association,data, and census.

I honestly feel that being responsible for our action's while we are alive on this planet is much more important than belonging to a certain group of people.
For instance; Being responsible for apologizing to someone if I said something that hurt their feeling's due to an event that happened in their lives that I had no idea about. Being patient with each other instead of rushing for answer's.

It is more important to feel a connection to that person and understand what they have been through in this world than it is to label ourselves and hold back feeling's because of what our religion or culture says to do.

I unfortunately  have to wake up early in the morning so I'm going to shorten this but feel free to expand on how you feel.
I am always analyzing circumstances in life.  I could go on and on but sleep calls.

I welcome your thought's and appreciate your opinion's.
Crystal Key
RE: I was about to reply to a post I saw but instead..
Hello and welcome.

This section of the forum is for introductions, so it is best you post this in another section for proper discussion.

Regarding what you said, and I am sorry if I misunderstood you, but atheism isn't a belief or view like theism is. Atheism as a label only exists to express a position on the theistic claims. It doesn't say anything about knowledge or worldview of a person. Thus as a label, it doesn't box oneself or anything remotely to that effect, on the contrary, it helps to see the world and reality as it is outside the box of theism.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Welcome again, officially Smile

We can always move this thread to another section if need be, if you'd like to continue the discussion.

I like your attitude very much! Atheist or theist is merely descriptive, someone simply is one or the other. But that doesn't mean they have to identify as such, or that they're telling the truth necessarily if they do. I'm quite happy being an open atheist, mainly to try and make it easier for others to "come out".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome, I hope you enjoy it here!

I am confused how a refusal to "box yourself" and proclaiming faith in Jesus go together. But hey, whatever floats your boat Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 14, 2016 at 5:45 am)CrystalKey Wrote: [...]
I personally feel that by boxing myself into a label I'm in fact missing out on learning and experiencing more about myself.[...]

You don't "box" things "into a label". You put labels on things, if they seem applicable - mainly for convenience of communication. Boxes don't enter into this. 

Do I believe in gods? No? Then I'm an atheist. It's not a box, it's a statement of fact. It doesn't constrain me - it just describes something about me at this particular moment. And it only applies to me, as long as the conditions for it being true about me are met. If I'm ever presented with sufficient evidence for existence of gods - I'll just stop being an atheist and there's nothing about my current "label", that would prevent that. I'm not "missing out" on anything. I just know who I am and what I believe in. 

Anyway - welcome to the forum.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I don't say "I'm a diabetic", I say "I have diabetes." In the same tone I say "I am atheistic." You can't describe me in one word.
"I feel that we are all different and have different views no matter what our beliefs are. Atheist, Christian or ???"

Everyone is entitled to their own views. But they are not entitled to their own facts.

For the removal of doubt; facts are what remain when you stop believing in them, or start believing that they aren't real.

For example; you can stop believing in gravity but you still won't be able to fly. And carrying on believing that you can fly is just a waste of your life.
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
Ah ok so you're a blank labelist.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(February 14, 2016 at 8:04 am)paulpablo Wrote: Ah ok so you're a blank labelist.

Even the lack of labels have labels! Tongue
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
(February 14, 2016 at 8:13 am)Jello Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 8:04 am)paulpablo Wrote: Ah ok so you're a blank labelist.

Even the lack of labels have labels! Tongue

Nowadays, if you want to be truly individualistic, you have to do the same as everyone else. Doing your own thing is an old hat, everyone does that nowadays...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition