Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi All,
Hi All,
Hi All,

Just decided to join. A while back I got to see some internet debates, mainly with dr William Lane Craig vs Krauss/Hitchens/Harris etc etc. In the youtube comment section I people said stuff that just baffled me. I was totally unaware of the fact the so many theist existed and that there views are so....well simplistic and narrow minded.

In a quest to get some respect and understand on why some people believe in a god I decided the join the reasonablefaith.org forum. I was expecting to get a much more nuanced view on the how and why some people are willing to believe. The result was rather socking to be honest. So shocking the I am about to abort my "quest" because I will end up with zero respect for the belief and very little for the people that are willing te defend it.

If the typical theist is pressed for an actual answer it is always evaded. Somehow they know some stuff about god for sure but 2 seconds later we could not be expected to know. They claim to have objective morality and have zero problems with rationalizing genocide. Sometime the "demand" an intelectual/academic discussion and end up butchering metaphysics and philosophy beyond recognition. I'm interested as to what your views or experiences are on that.

As for me, I live and in a mostly secular country. I was brought up in without a notion of a god, although I went to a christian middle school (spending prayer time being really bored an looking at the other children). I'm an atheist with an open mind, but that being said, the christian god cannot exist. She has been buried by science many times and resurrected by christian apologetics.
RE: Hi All,
Welcome to the forum. You'll see the same sorts of theists here. We have a few who are realm nice people, and a few who are just as you describe.

Welcome to AF Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Ok, did not know that. I found myself losing respect for theist in general, so it was time to stop. In allot of the debated either one of three things allways happend.

1. Bending everything to match the god that they believe in (I experianced this as flat-out dis-honest and kind of makes me angry).
2. Or claim some kind of truth and start quoting the bible or how they found and personally know the holy spirit.
3. Attack atheism like if it was also some kind of religion.

I found it, within weeks, extremely difficult to handle. Hoping to find some nicer discussion. Good thing though, they got me a little interested in philosophy.
Welcome!

I've found that I can respect the theist if they give respect in kind. That does not mean that I respect the belief but their right to have a belief.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome to the forum. You sound very enthusiastic!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome!  Smile
Cookie Sign  Noob  Giggle Welcome. I'm new, too. Hope you liked the cookies!
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Quote: I was totally unaware of the fact the so many theist existed and that there views are so....well simplistic and narrow minded.
Oh yeah - we have some prime specimens of that running around unsupervised here.  You'll spot them soon enough.

Welcome.
Welcome!

Sadly, internet discourse isn't always the best.

Except here, of course! Tongue
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2160 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
Thumbs Up HEY ALL Y'ALL Droppin' Loads 10 3931 September 22, 2009 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amphora