Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Missing Commandment
The Missing Commandment
OK, so the particular mistranslated, messed-up, mutated-from-a-million-inefficient-copyings of the Ten Commandments I have here is;

[Image: 419202.gif]

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me
2. Thou shalt not make make unto thee any graven image
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy
5. Honour thy father and thy mother
6. Thou shalt not kill
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery
8. Thou shalt not steal
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour
10. Thou shalt not covet

Of these, 1, 3 and possibly 2 and 4 are concerned with Sky Daddy's vanity, his demands that we always consider him the boss, and his expectation that we respect his bullshit rituals above all else. The rest seem pretty sensible.

So what's missing here?

It's not as if God has to stop at 10 commandments. In other parts of the Bible, he bangs on for hours with meaningless lists of fruits and who begat whom.

So why isn't there any space here for a prohibition against rape?

Why does God consider it more important to prohibit the theft of a couple of pennies than to condemn the most humiliating, violating offence that one human being can commit against another short of murder?

Why is it worse for Person A with no food in their belly to envy Person B with a huge banquet in front of them, than it is for Person B to rape person A?

Why is it worse for Person A to tell the smallest lie about Person B, than it is for them to rape that person?
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
RE: The Missing Commandment
Worst part is, that's not even the Ten Commandments. Christians pretend it is because it has maybe 3 relevant ones out of the 10. The actual 10 commandments don't even features those. After those 10 above though, he adds another 200 or something, and still no mention of slavery or rape.

But I agree, not having slavery or rape up there shows either God is fine with those things, or else it's just a reflection of the morality at the time.

http://youtu.be/pkCJ8rb8Grw
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It was more important to make sure we know to take a day off from work than to tell us we should treat everyone equally. So important that he has a guy killed for picking up sticks on the wrong day of the week.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 28, 2016 at 9:35 am)Chad32 Wrote: It was more important to make sure we know to take a day off from work than to tell us we should treat everyone equally. So important that he has a guy killed for picking up sticks on the wrong day of the week.

I'm reminded of the people Stalin had murdered for picking up grains of corn from the street to eat, because they were starving following his disastrous collectivisation of the farms.

He said they had stolen the property of the people and were capitalist reactionary saboteurs.

I suppose it's what happens when people become less concerned with human suffering, and more concerned with ensuring that their authority is obeyed above all else.
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
Yeah, any time one person claims all the power, things generally get very bad. Yet people want to worship this god character.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-WdAwVg9c
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Technically, rape would be lumped in with adultery and theft. There is a commandment, it's just not explicit to our eyes or ears, as we've long since stopped considering rape as a package of either of those two things.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And raping someone at the temple might offend God too in regards to the first 4.

(I mention that one since it too is a frequently forgotten corollary)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

proto-Bedouins didn't think rape was a problem. Just a woman, after all.
They took issue.  Like you'd take issue if somebody came and raped your dog, or put his penis on your couch. It was destruction of property and loss of value if nothing else. I personally doubt that any father has ever been indifferent to the rape of his daughter in any case.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the missing link to God's family JBrentonK 166 33619 November 6, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 17945 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
Tongue How many religious people obey this commandment? Big Blue Sky 20 7547 June 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  The missing link is an erection! Rokcet Scientist 2 1637 July 7, 2011 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Violet