Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
paralysis
paralysis
Hello guys

I want your opinion on the following scenario.

Lets assume there was a completely disabled human being who needs major help through all daily activities.
This human being is under the following condition:
  • He/she has no job whatsoever
  • He/she has zero friends and zero family members
If you are an atheist, can you give me a reason (other than legal issues) of why this person should not be killed as to free more resources (money, time, hospital space, etc) for the rest of the community?

Bong
RE: paralysis
You argument is perverse; it's like saying that society should sacrifice a healthy individual to harvest that person's organs so that half-a-dozen individuals can live.
Because I'm not a sociopath, and have a well-developed sense of empathy, I would not care to see someone treated in a way that I would not want to be treated.

/thread
(March 17, 2016 at 9:09 pm)Jehanne Wrote: You argument is perverse; it's like saying that society should sacrifice a healthy individual to harvest that person's organs so that half-a-dozen individuals can live.

From an atheistic point of view, a healthy individual is beneficial to me as they can take a job and provide service to the society, which will eventually help me. So they should not be killed.

But the disabled person in this example has no job whatsoever, is complete disabled, and has no friends/family which might be affected by his death.
Yes.

1. Because a society *should* look after it's most vulnerable people and if the person wants to continue to live, then who are we to kill them?

2. If you justify killing these people for convenience, where does it end? (And please, don't conflate this with abortion).
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 17, 2016 at 9:15 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Because I'm not a sociopath, and have a well-developed sense of empathy, I would not care to see someone treated in a way that I would not want to be treated.

/thread

In an atheistic world view, morality is relative. What you consider empathy is only your concept of empathy. Some one else is not bound to your empathy.

(March 17, 2016 at 9:19 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Yes.

1. Because a society *should* look after it's most vulnerable people and if the person wants to continue to live, then who are we to kill them?

2.  If you justify killing these people for convenience, where does it end?  (And please, don't conflate this with abortion).

where is your evidence that it should?

From an atheistic point of view, a healthy individual is beneficial to me as they can take a job and provide service to the society, which will eventually help me. So they should not be killed.

But the disabled person in this example has no job whatsoever, is complete disabled, and has no friends/family which might be affected by his death.
If the world was that callous as to destroy non productive humans, then we've already lost our humanity.

Let's experiment on Muslims and Christians first, before we get too carried away! Hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 17, 2016 at 9:19 pm)truth_seeker Wrote:
(March 17, 2016 at 9:15 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Because I'm not a sociopath, and have a well-developed sense of empathy, I would not care to see someone treated in a way that I would not want to be treated.

/thread

In an atheistic world view, morality is relative. What you consider empathy is only your concept of empathy. Some one else is not bound to your empathy.

1. Atheism isn't a worldview.

2. Moralityis subjective, not relative.

3. If you feel that way, feel free to kill people, and the rest of us who do value empathy will collectively see you put in prison.
Because most of us are empathetic and if that person is happy and wants to live it's his/her right to. It's not like we're going to sacrifice him/her just because he/she unfortunately doesn't have the same abilities the average person has.

It feels like you're implying that atheists are immoral and/or selfish, but I might be wrong here, it's very late and I'm tired.

On the other hand, if the person himself wants to die, I wouldn't mind if he/she got killed, painlessly with medical assistance.
. . . or a rock crusher . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Paralysis... Autolite 23 1939 January 24, 2017 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Autolite