Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of AI?
The future of AI?
I thought of throwing this in the News forum, but I expect that the thread will mainly deal with AI and potential consciousness.

Microsoft Robot
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
The future of AI?
That's a pretty smart AI they created.

Quote:Microsoft’s self-learning robot was let loose on Twitter this week and ended up becoming a 9/11 ‘truther’ – claiming that the Bush administration orchestrated the 9/11 attacks, and suggesting that ‘Donald Trump is the only hope for America’.
RE: The future of AI?
Part 1: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial...ion-1.html

Part 2: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial...ion-2.html
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I'd still consider what they accomplished as something to be proud of. Smile
This AI is significantly better than the AIs we used to have that give answers to predefined questions.
I heard that they now work on raising its IQ above 10 to prevent it from instantly becoming a Trump fan again.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

AI requires the following:

1) goals
2) trial behaviors
3) an algorithm for "punishing" or "rewarding" trials

In order for AI to really evolve, it will also need some inbuilt capacity for variability-- say, the ability to arbitrarily weight various goals without outside hard programming. There will need to be replication, so that successful goals and behaviors will be able to persist and come to dominate.

If AI devices become capable of self-replication and establishing their own goals, we as humans are, naturally, fucked, since we will be in competition for the device populations for resources.
(March 26, 2016 at 11:08 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Part 1: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial...ion-1.html

Part 2: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial...ion-2.html

Unfortunately the author of those pages read Kurzweil which is always a mistake. Kurzweil is a media scientist who only cares about making headlines to get more funding and doesn't actually do any proper research. There are a few of them in the field. Kevin Warwick is another one. They all base their conclusions on extremely dodgy assumptions which do not stand up to scrutiny.
(March 26, 2016 at 5:47 pm)Alex K Wrote: I heard that they now work on raising its IQ above 10 to prevent it from instantly becoming a Trump fan again.

Yes, one of the few disadvantages of using the bottom-up approach in AI.
I'd pull a Trekkie on her and ask her to work out pi and don't come back until she's done!

Also, I'd like to know if she's religious and her reasons?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I have not seen this addressed.  It could be important because after the fact, it will become a moot issue.

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In the future men will be able to carry children just like women rado84 110 11110 October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: mcolafson
  The future for the human race lifesagift 12 3216 September 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: lifesagift