Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving God in 20 statements
Proving God in 20 statements
Hello atheists,

I welcome critique on a proof of God (if you don’t know first predicate logic, just follow the text).

The proof is found below.

*** Please read the notes at the end of the proof which help establish the soundness of the premises ***

If the proof is valid (which it is) and sound, then God is proved!

I hope one day to offer a reward to anyone capable of dismissing the proof.

Thanks!

>>>>> 

PROOF >>>

There are no uncaused things. : From Cosmological Arguments

The Universe is a thing.

The Universe is caused (be it internally [self-caused] or externally).

x[Tx → Cx], Tu: Cu
1. x[Tx → Cx]                 P (Premise)
2. Tu                                  P
Proof:
3. Tu → Cu                        1 UI (Universal Instantiation)
4. Cu                                  2, 3 MP (Modus Ponens) [END OF PART I]

It follows that for all caused things, there is an explanation.

The Universe is caused.

The Universe has an explanation.

x[Cx → Ex], Cu: Eu
1. x[Cx → Ex]                 P
2. Cu                                  P
Proof:
3. Cu → Eu                        1 UI
4. Eu                                  2,3 MP [END OF PART II]

By definition: an ultimate explanation of the Universe must be complete and consistent (i.e., fully explained either through natural self-causation [TOE (Theory of Everything)] or otherwise).

Eu ↔ Ku

A formal system of explanation (basically, any scientifically compatible explanation) is complete and consistent only in the infinite (recall that higher type formal systems can always be formulated into the transfinite). : From Gödel’s Second Incompleteness Theorem. This rules out a TOE and leads to the rest of this proof.

x[Kx ↔ Ix]

An infinite formal system of explanation is logically equivalent with the “Greatest” one imaginable.

Ix ↔ Gx

The last two premises mean that our Universe is ultimately only explainable by an infinitely great power. It is also easy to see that...

Any characteristic “Greatest” refers to God. : From Ontological Arguments

x[Gx ↔ Ĝx]

Therefore, the ultimate explanation of the Universe can only be God.

Eu ↔ Ĝx

Proving God in 20 statements:
Eu ↔ Ku, x[Kx ↔ Ix], Ix ↔ Gx, x[Gx ↔ Ĝx]: Eu ↔ Ĝx
1.   Eu ↔ Ku                                   P
2.   x[Kx ↔ Ix]                             P
3.   Ix ↔ Gx                                    P
4.   x[Gx ↔ Ĝx]                           P
5.   (Eu → Ku) & (Ku → Eu)           1 Equiv (Equivalence)
6.   Eu → Ku                                   5 Simp (Simplification)
7.   Ku → Eu                                   5 Simp
8.   (Kx → Ix) & (Ix → Kx)             2  Equiv
9.   Kx → Ix                                    8 Simp
10. Ix → Kx                                    8 Simp
11. (Ix ↔ Gx) & (Gx → Ix)              3 Equiv
12. Ix → Gx                                    11 Simp
13. Gx → Ix                                    11 Simp
14. (Gx → Ĝx) & (Ĝx → Gx)           4 Equiv
15. Gx → Ĝx                                   14 Simp
16. Ĝx → Gx                                   14 Simp
17. Eu → Ĝx                                   6, 9, 12, 15 UI, HS (Hypothetical Syllogism)  
18. Ĝx → Eu                                   16, 13, 10, 7 UI, HS
19. (Eu → Ĝx) & (Ĝx → Eu)            17, 18 Conj (Conjunction)
20. Eu ↔ Ĝx                                   19 Equiv [END OF PROOF]

Notes
(i) Critics often refer to Quantum Theory to show the possibility of something from "nothing" but in fact, at a minimum, a Quantum Vacuum is needed along with scientific laws. Hardly "nothing" I would say.

(ii) The Cosmological Argument used here does not argue for an external cause but ONLY a causation - which is not contentious.

(iii) God is “first cause” by definition and therefore not needed to be caused; however, God still does not necessarily violate the premise that all things are caused because the premise allows for self-causation, which can be applied to God: God causes God to exist.

(iv) “Explanation” as sought in the proof refers to a mode of causation, not a metaphysical “why?”

(v) It is important that any invocation of Gödel’s Theorem outside of mathematics maintains a sure link between formal systems with a certain amount of arithmetic and any extra-mathematical conclusions. In this proof, such a link is maintained for the soundness of the premises.

(vi) Infinity here is not an abstract concept as is sometimes proffered by opponents to Ontological Arguments but is necessitated for an ultimate explanation of the Universe. In other words, it cannot be abstract here because it is demonstrably necessary for the Universe’s existence.

(vii) The conclusion of this proof is consistent with the Big Bang Theory which is the leading theoretical description of our Universe’s beginning, supported by the Universe’s observed expansion and increasing entropy. However, even fringe theories of an “infinite” Universe could only be, in their limits, described as “transfinite” Universe theories, thus being innocuous to the proof’s conclusion.

(viii) Refutations of this proof invoking a multiverse are in the realm of science fiction and are not accorded further comment beyond noting their non-scientific characterization (they are not falsifiable). The irony is that such flights of fantasy actually force opponents to accept the possibility of God in a multiverse where anything is possible.

(ix) Given that logic entails a certain amount of arithmetic, it is not itself both complete and consistent; however, that does not mean that we can't trust logical conclusions, such as presented here. All that is necessary is that the logical system that we use is founded on true axioms.
RE: Proving God in 20 statements
Oh dear god you actually used Gödel's incompleteness theorem to prove the impossibility of a theory of everything?

So incredibly wronger than wrong that I can't even
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Looks like a bunch of hoopla to me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
and also everything else that's wrong with what you've posted

So you've "proved" there is a "first cause", and you're just labelling this first cause "God".

How do you prove this cause is sentient? Even if it is, how do you know anything about it?

Why should I care about it, even if it does exist?

Arguments are not evidence. You're exploring a heavily simplified abstract model of reality, hoping you're not missing any possible details which could affect the reliability of your model, and producing results you can't possibly test or verify.

http://youtu.be/inw1fNItjdU
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Oh hahahaha this has like 9 pratts in it

Congratulations, OP; you just proved Ceiling Cat.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:So you've "proved" there is a "first cause", and you're just labelling this first cause "God".

I label the first cause "dogshit."  And all I have to do to prove that dogshit is real is walk out in my back yard because I haven't cleaned it up since yesterday.
(March 31, 2016 at 11:54 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Congratulations, OP; you just proved Ceiling Cat.

Aye.

[Image: funny-ceiling-cat-is-watching--5941.jpg]

Yeah, kinda wondering which God the OP is going to prove. If the analysis ends up on demonstrating the existence of the Wormhole Aliens revered by the Bajorans in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine it could be quite a wake up call for the Vatican . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Closing statements before leaving again for semester. Mystic 31 3871 January 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  When Atheists Can't Think Episode 2: Proving Atheism False Heat 18 3401 December 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How would you respond to these common theist statements? TheMonster 21 5286 July 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Regina
  How to respond to "God bless you" statements Fromper 40 8214 April 25, 2014 at 6:19 am
Last Post: BlackSwordsman
  Proving god with logic? xr34p3rx 47 11677 March 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Question Proving a negative LeoVonFrost 51 11930 July 7, 2013 at 9:34 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Proving Atheism Is True chasm 45 13059 April 22, 2012 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Phil