Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made you an atheist?
What made you an atheist?
What, if anything, made you an atheist?
RE: What made you an atheist?
It just seemed to be the sensible position... Nothing in particular
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Attended church for a number of years with my mother. Started doubting at an early age but kept attending.

Officially gave up at 13 after I'd fully read the bible and realised it was bullshit.
Dying to live, living to die.
God did it.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Age and maturity
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(April 6, 2016 at 12:56 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: God dunnit.

More or less.

I was always very inquisitive, and the common answer to many of the difficult questions I'd ask was always some variation of 'god did it/has a plan for you/works in mysterious ways' which is, frankly, a cop out and incredibly unsatisfying. I faked it for a while and really tried to believe, but never truly did. So, it wasn't so much deconverting from belief to unbelief, but rather finally admitting to myself that I never believed to begin with.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
I've always been one. Not having been indoctrinated, I saw right through it as soon as I came into contact with these ideas.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I was raised a muslim and luckily I was very curious and I started getting skeptical later on. Probably became skeptical because I was very interested in science and stumbled upon things that contradicted religion. When I asked questions regarding how life works etc I got the stupid god response, and it didn't satisfy me. I believed in it but at the same time I was still searching for answers and later on I'd ask "What about the scientific response?". Anyway after a long time when I got more interested in religions and started exploring them, I started searching for evidence for religions (mostly islam). I found no evidence for religion so I let it go, but I went from being a theist to a deitist, believing in an inactive, noninteracting god that just started the universe, set rules/laws and let it run on its own. But then I realised that there was no evidence for such a god either so I just let it all go and that's when I became an atheist. Now when I hear talk about heaven, hell and jhins/demons, miracles and magic I see how incredibly ridiculous it sounds.

It felt pretty great, it was during a CSGO match with my friends during summerbreak very very late at night and I just told my friend "I don't believe in God anymore."
Funny thing is he was an atheist and we debated it not too long before my deconversion and he told something along the lines "One day you'll realise uncle <friend> was right all along." He was.
When I became a deitist i.e left religion I felt happier because I felt like I had no purpose which means I had more freedom because I wasn't restricted by sins etc. I prefer no purpose and/or significance and no eternal life more, so that's a plus.

Tbh later on in my theist "stages" I think I "deep inside" prefered no god but I was still clinging onto faith. Keep in mind before reaching a conclusion I looked for answers, evidence etc from both "sides" and didn't let confirmation bias and/or cognitive dissonance get the best of me so pls I don't want any theists telling me that I missed something or someshit.

In the end I am very glad that I was raised muslim because on the journey to deconversion I learned quite much regarding some things e.g science, history, religion and I'm very sure I improved my critical, logical and analytical thinking by far and became more rational and my comprenhension increased because during those periods I noticed much better performance in school.

Or maybe I became an atheist because my critical, logical and analytical thinking got better and I became more rational and my comprenhension increased. Only god knows.

P.S  FSM Grin
Nothing made me an atheist. Learning about the world made me arrive at that position.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
You could say I grew out of religion. as I grew older, I started thinking for myself more, and decising some of this stuff doesn't really fit. It's either blatantly gross by modern standards, or something anyone with a gradschool/highschool education knows is factually incorrect. Eventually I got access to the internet, and I found out the whole virgin birth story, and coming back from the dead, and all that is neither unique, nor original, to the Jesus story. Nor is judaism the first religion with a creator god.

The bible is nothing special. I disagree with too much of it to worship Jesus or Yahweh. In fact the idea of worshiping anyone is kind of weird, given how my country is supposed to be run. And forget the idea of sacrificing an innocent person to somehow rid guilty people of their wrongdoings. I shouldn't even have to explain how wrong that is.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2219 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Cartoon I made poking fun at Religion! shawnmcdaniel1 19 2892 September 9, 2021 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6158 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46243 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Made a preacherman run away. Gawdzilla Sama 19 3433 December 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2713 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1946 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4692 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7041 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5444 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus