Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:03 am

Poll: Should we pass universal Death with Dignity Laws?
This poll is closed.
Yes, anyone should be able to end their life for any reason.
41.30%
19 41.30%
Yes, but just for terminally ill patients.
6.52%
3 6.52%
Yes, but with extremely strict oversight and a certain amount of mental health counseling.
47.83%
22 47.83%
No, doctor assisted suicide should be illegal no matter what.
0%
0 0%
I don't know.
0%
0 0%
Fuck a poll in the butt.
2.17%
1 2.17%
Some other thing I didn't think of.
2.17%
1 2.17%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right to Die
Right to Die
I am a firm supporter of the Right to Die movement. I think personal autonomy is fundamentally important, especially in today's world.

I just watched HBO's VICE episode called "Right to Die" wherein they examined the different laws being discussed concerning a person's right to die with dignity, and they went and filmed a person in Holland who exercised this right, and gave permission to be filmed whilst receiving the drugs and dying. It was remarkably powerful to watch a real person die, even on camera.

The thing is, this person was not terminally ill. She suffered from an anxiety disorder and PTSD. In Holland, the laws are such that this woman saw a therapist 3 times, and the therapist agreed to help this woman end her life.

Here's where I'm conflicted: I 100% agree that a person who is terminally ill should have the choice whether to ride it out and live as long as they can, or set their own end point. Same with Alzheimer's/Dementia, Huntington's, ALS, etc.

Should the "right to die" be extended to mental illness? Should a person suffering from severe depression be considered sound of mind enough to get medical help in ending their life?

I personally remain on the fence. I worry about people who could have come out of it seeing the right therapist or people with life circumstances that they cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I also believe that it's none of my business. I can't jive the two.

What say you lot?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Right to Die
Everyone should have right to die even without debilitating illness making their life not worth living.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
Generally, I would agree that a person should have complete bodily sovereignty including the right to diem. I am conflicted as to whether soundness of mind is a prerequisite. I am uncomfortable with the idea of state supported suicide for the mentall incompetent, however this is in conflict with my beleifnthat the incompetent should still retain bodily sovereignty.

It is, to me, an extremely personal matter and not one that free people ought forbid.
If a person doesn't like the idea of suicide countless other people will be glad to kill him.
Well, I'm of a split mind on that. For one, everyone should have the right to take the final step in a painless and quick manner. But on the other hand, Harold Shipman comes to mind, who could get away with murder for about 20 years. Any legislation allowing doctors to assist patients in their suicide would make it easier to pull something like that. And last, I come from a region where a law like that already has existed, some 80 years ago. Aimed t killing off undesirables by a vile regime. Noone can guarantee that this can't happen again. Especially in our profit driven society where humans are more and more degraded to just another commodity, losing their value if they don't function anymore.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The right to die is inherent, IMO; the right of physicians to decide the parameters in which they're willing to assist is too.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
As I understand it, the way that Washington state and Oregon have worded the legislation is that two doctors from separate institutions have to deem the patient terminal independently. Then they can apply to an independent board.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 30, 2016 at 4:40 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: As I understand it, the way that Washington state and Oregon have worded the legislation is that two doctors from separate institutions have to deem the patient terminal independently. Then they can apply to an independent board.

Too stringent, in my opinion.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I think with our medical system having the extreme profit motive that it does, it is a good safety measure.

If I'm diagnosed with Stage-4 Pancreatic Cancer and know I'm going to die in 6 months, if I have to see an extra doctor and go in front of a board to procure my right to die, I think it's worth it so long as the board is required to heed the physician's opinion.

Protecting the right to die, to me, is just as important as procuring it. If there is abuse in any way that can be proven, it will be that much easier to repeal the law.

The inherent human right to live my life how I choose must include the right to end it how I choose.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many people will die due to covid spread over memorial day CarveTheFive 20 1532 May 19, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  More people die from suicide than war and natural disasters combined. CapnAwesome 39 3014 October 16, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  How Many Will Die Because The WLB Is A Fucking Moron? Minimalist 58 7518 December 10, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  But 'murrican kids on Medicaid Can Go Fucking Die..... Minimalist 7 1121 July 11, 2017 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Let The People Die As Long As The Corporations Live On Minimalist 6 1673 July 3, 2017 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Four kids & mom of Catholic family die in a house fire. Jehanne 114 17352 March 9, 2017 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Dad lets daughter die, rather than be touched by 'strange' rescuer TubbyTubby 38 6557 August 11, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Sex Geckos die in Orbit on Russian Space Project CapnAwesome 16 2448 September 3, 2014 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Jenny A