Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lying Buncha Science Bastards
Lying Buncha Science Bastards
Oh, sure, we value input from the public. Kiss it where it's fattest, liars.

No Boaty McBoatface

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Lying Buncha Science Bastards
Indeed if you let people vote for a name you must stick with the one voted for, otherwise what was the point?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Bastards.

It occurred to me that it's properly a ship, not a boat.

Shippy McShipface has a bit of a ring to it, yes? What a missed opportunity.
(May 7, 2016 at 2:05 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Bastards.

It occurred to me that it's properly a ship, not a boat.

Shippy McShipface has a bit of a ring to it, yes?  What a missed opportunity.

I'd be ok with a ship called that. 'My assignment's been changed - Central have informed me that I'm to be Shipfaced, forthwith.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 7, 2016 at 12:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Oh, sure, we value input from the public.  Kiss it where it's fattest, liars.

No Boaty McBoatface  

Boru

Yeah - I knew they were never going to use the crowd-sourced name. It's just like a few years ago, when Mountain Dew hold a public vote to decide the name for their new soda. 

They never released the "Hitler did nothing wrong" drink either... Tongue

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/14/moun...bly-wrong/
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 7, 2016 at 1:01 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Indeed if you let people vote for a name you must stick with the one voted for, otherwise what was the point?

If a government that doesn't rule with the consent of the people is not legitimate, how much worse even is it for a boat?  Out on the sea sailing under an illegitimate name?  Bastard!
From the article -

Quote:No one's going to complain about a ship being named after Sir David.

I wouldn't bet on that proposition.
I may be wrong (again!) but I think they asked for suggestions rather than having a formal vote.
and yes, it's a ship not a boat Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Correct on both counts.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I never heard of no Attinberow!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil Quotes From Evil Bastards The Architect Of Fate 2 454 December 16, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Cats Will Not Take This Lying Down Minimalist 81 9312 September 1, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Food aint lying, well happened at Food Lion. Brian37 5 1574 November 12, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Can I just say, and I am lying. Foxaèr 10 1265 September 21, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: Expired