Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone
What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone
Why can't they just let those of us who CHOOSE not to believe in God or follow their bullshit alone? Why do they insist shoving their beliefs down everyone's throats? Whether it's through law or whatever. Do they not understand what the first amendment is? Or do they just ignore it when it's inconvenient to them?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tran...96c183a792
RE: What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone
(May 18, 2016 at 4:21 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: Why can't they just let those of us who CHOOSE not to believe in God or follow their bullshit alone? Why do they insist shoving their beliefs down everyone's throats? Whether it's through law or whatever. Do they not understand what the first amendment is? Or do they just ignore it when it's inconvenient to them?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tran...96c183a792

The Cafeteria Christian meets the Cafeteria Constitutionalist. They take what they want from both and leave the rest.
RE: What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone
Yeah, I did a thread recently about "Does god need your help". I got one reply. Apparently all out other theists are unsure about how much help he needs.

I imagine the root cause is discomfort. People who don't agree with you, especially regarding fundamental issues, can feel like a threat. Same with people who are different. Some sort of primitive tribalism I guess. Weirdly I don't feel any need to go around browbeating people into atheism or oppressing people who are different.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
They feel their majority status and the accompanying power it brings slipping away. Their sense of desperation leads them to push as much of their agenda as they can while they still hold enough power to do it. The Christianists will be an irrelevancy in American politics except as a sideshow in ten years and they know it.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 18, 2016 at 9:41 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: They feel their majority status and the accompanying power it brings slipping away. Their sense of desperation leads them to push as much of their agenda as they can while they still hold enough power to do it. The Christianists will be an irrelevancy in American politics except as a sideshow in ten years and they know it.

Pray to gawd you're right.
. . . and as we've seen here repeatedly, these vocal Christians out shoving their beliefs aren't doing their own religion correctly either, and they have zero interest in comporting themselves in accord with (their) Holy Scriptures because THEY know better than God.

Wish someone would have offered the kunt at Target an asp and seen what she would have done with it. The article doesn't mention her lodged by the handicapped restroom facilities and healing the lame with her hands either.

WTF ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

They're raised up believing that their way is the right way, and often people who aren't their kind of christians will burn in hell for eternity. They're trying to save you from yourself.

They do not understand that the first amendment applies to all religions. I grew up around people who think this nation was founded as a theocracy.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If they ain't trying to bring you into the "fold" by whatever means (feigned love/fear/threat/...........) then they ain't playing by the cult rules and risk expulsion and not getting the ultimate prize.

Now come over here and let me LOVE BOMB you! (insert kissing sounds here)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I recently heard a Christian ballpark a breakdown of American Christians: About 20% right wing conservative evangelical fundamentalist true believers, about 20% right wing conservative 'Team Jesus', about 20% liberal, and about 20% cultural Christians. That's very fluffy, but I think it has some bearing on the decline of Christianity in the USA. People who become 'Nones' come from all the sectors of Christianity, but particularly from the cultural Christians who don't have strong Christian beliefs but basically will say 'Christian' if asked. They tend to go along with the culture; they're the 'low-hanging fruit' if you're looking for people to leave Christianity. Sadly, their apathy is likely to follow them.

I have a personal impression that the first group produces a lot of atheists, their beliefs are so rigid that a few cracks can shatter them. I, and a lot of the atheists I know personally in RL, used to be fundamentalist Christians. I think they're more likely to become secular activists. I'm not sure we even want the 'Team Jesus' people.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
and even the ones self described as "evangelical fundamentalist true believers" wouldn't be able to pass even the 'fluffiest' test of religious fealty

scripture cherry pickers the bloody lot of 'em
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2916 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1250 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 992 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8532 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Christians and Their Homework! chimp3 78 9212 March 6, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2287 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 19517 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16412 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 225 52441 June 5, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 12058 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil