Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of physical
Definition of physical
This is something that's come up a few times now, and I'm not completely clear about it.

Is it correct to say that something being "physical", in scientific terms, is the same as saying it "exists"? Are these two terms exactly the same? I refer to literal existence, rather than abstract concepts which may or may not represent literally existent things.

If these two terms are not interchangeable, could someone please explain to me what the difference is? My first concern would be with "space", as in the space that is available for things to "exist in". Is the space itself physical? Does the space, or the potential it represents, "exist"?

Many thanks!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Definition of physical
I'd agree with that. None sure at the quantum level though.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
OK cool, thanks Smile

I'm trying to understand if the phrase "non-physical existence" is coherent. People peddle magic "supernatural" entities of course. But if physical simply means existant, then these magical entities are also physical; or else they don't exist.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I don't think so. It works one way. Physical = exists, non physical entity = ?

Other than abstract thoughts, do we know of any natural phenomena which exists without taking up spacetime?
I can't think of any.

EDIT: Not sure about potential energies?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
https://youtu.be/vWz9VN40nCA

Sorry, had to do it. xD
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I think of "physical" as "that which has material form."

I'd say "physical" is something tangible that you can feel, as opposed to the intangible that isn't so easily sensed.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

OK, thanks guys Smile

Yes, I can see it would be reasonable to say that which is physical exists. It's made up of something you can meausure in some way, and which can have an impact on other things.

If someone wants to make the case that something non-physical can or does exist, then I think it's up to them to say:

(A) What does this even mean? In what way does it exist? How is it different from something that doesn't exit?

(B) How can you possibly ever determine that there is such a thing, if you have no way of detecting it?

If science does already acknowledge some sort of non-physical (literal) existence, I'd be very interested to know.

Index of my best videos
Even the cosmic background radiation from 14b years ago is detectable!
No god detected amongst it sadly!

Lucky for the theists the cheeky bugger lives outside of spacetime! He he ....... Not!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hmm,Rob, do you think it would make sense if we called anything that can reflect light as "physical"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A new atheist's theories on meta-like physical existence freedeepthink 14 3846 October 1, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: freedeepthink