Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Newer Atheists?
The Newer Atheists?
Okay.  All allies are greatly appreciated.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/hitchens...-the-rise/

Quote:Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news — a totally different Atheism is on the rise

No matter how one says it, the point remains that we are on our own and there is no point praying to some non-existent caricature of a god left over from the fucking bronze age.  We have to solve our own problems..... and we'd better get started.
RE: The Newer Atheists?
Ok, so how different ways are there to not believe in something?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I can't imagine "God Is Not Great" as a series of tweets.  That seems to be what the younger generation wants.
Dragons, aliens, elfs are forgotten easily. Why you guys can't calm down about God?
I didn't really understand that article. Atheism has nothing to do with social issues. Those who are speaking out happen to be mostly atheists, but that doesn't mean they are speaking out because of their atheism.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

They lost me when they started talking about atheism as a movement with leadership. That may, indeed, be the case with some people, but I'm not part of it, nor do I want to be.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
As long as they don't believe in fucking fairy tales they are alright by me.  Not as well read or educated as Dawkins or Hitchens but you take allies where you can find them.
(May 25, 2016 at 12:53 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: I didn't really understand that article. Atheism has nothing to do with social issues. Those who are speaking out happen to be mostly atheists, but that doesn't mean they are speaking out because of their atheism.

In part, yes it does.

Take the current debate over homosexual marriage and transgender bathrooms. It's an affront to many religious beliefs and they vehemently fight against such social changes. 
The new brand of atheist are not falling for this bigoted shit via its social-religious implication.
purplepurpose Wrote:Dragons, aliens, elfs are forgotten easily. Why you guys can't calm down about God?

It's not God that's the problem, it's that people haven't forgotten him and are using him to justify legislation that affects everyone. My state just passed a law banning abortion after 20 weeks in almost all circumstances. I would love to not have to fight this battle, but atheists were quiet for decades and the American Taliban took over a major political party and people who believed they were going straight to heaven killed a few thousand Americans while we were doing the 'live and let live' thing.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 25, 2016 at 12:52 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Dragons, aliens, elfs are forgotten easily. Why you guys can't calm down about God?

Because people that believe in dragons, aliens, and elfs don't: blow themselves up in public places, try to get pseudoscience taught in public schools, behead people, try to pass lows based on Scriptural 'morality', start wars, fly planes into buildings at 400 mph, etc, etc in the name of their dragon, alien and elf beliefs. 

Those are things believers in gods do.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2203 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet