Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islamophilia
Islamophilia
Islamophilia is the irrational love of Islam, extending to it special privileges and protection not offered to any other religion or ideology. 

The existence of Islamophilia on the left is one of the most perplexing things in modern politics. You'd think we'd be the ones loving all over Islam, seeing as how there's barely any daylight between us (Christian fundamentalists) and Islamic fundamentalists. Besides the fact that we put the "fun" in "duh" and "mental", just go down the checklist:

- Hate gays (check)
- Keep women in their place (check)
- Outlaw abortion (check)
- Tossing out privacy (check)
- Tearing down separation of church and state (check)
- Getting rid of bacon (ummmmm)

OK, so the Venn diagram doesn't perfectly line up, but still, you'd think the political bedfellows would be paired up a little differently. Why is the condition of Islamophilia particularly contagious on the left? I don't get it.

By the way, you or someone you love might suffer from Islamophilia. Here are the warning signs: 

1. You think Islam is a "race"
2. You think criticism of Islam is "bigotry"
3. You think religion is never, ever, ever to blame for sectarian violence
4. When someone is attacked for blasphemy, you suggest the victim should have "been more sensitive". 
5. You react to any criticism of Islam, no matter how precise the language is to theocracy or extremism, as "painting all Muslims with a broad brush"
6. You go "Godwin" on any critics of Islam
7. You immediately lump all critics of Islam in with the neo-cons.
8. You believe in free speech "but..."
9. You suggest the problem with Islamic extremism is "extremism", not Islam.
10. You're a cultural and moral relativist.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
RE: Islamophilia
[Image: 158y0j.jpg]
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hey.  Some of them are coming around.

[Image: muslim-bacon.jpg]
Yeah, Deist Paladin. Some of us remember your positions on that. You've been to Indonesia once, so we should alert the State Department that there's an expert on the issue. Maybe even someone to advise Trump.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 3, 2016 at 2:46 pm)abaris Wrote: You've been to Indonesia once.

Several times, actually.

I just want to know why Islam gets the kid-gloves treatment. Who made that religion the sacred cow?
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
(June 3, 2016 at 2:32 pm)YahwehIsTheWay Born Again Wrote: 1. You think Islam is a "race"

Not really. There are a lot of ignorant people who equate Muslims with Arabs, but this happens on both sides anyway.

Quote:2. You think criticism of Islam is "bigotry"

Nope, but I do think the amount of bigotry and prejudice I've noticed against Muslim people is unjustified.

Quote:3. You think religion is never, ever, ever to blame for sectarian violence

Well, if you think religion is the main reason for sectarian violence or extremism to the exclusion of all other factors, then you're ignorant.

Quote:4. When someone is attacked for blasphemy, you suggest the victim should have "been more sensitive".

Never suggested that.

Quote:5. You react to any criticism of Islam, no matter how precise the language is to theocracy or extremism, as "painting all Muslims with a broad brush"

I look at the argument supposedly being present against Islam. If instead it ends up being more to enable bigotry against Muslim people because they happen to be Muslims rather than Christians or atheists, then yeah, I'm going to have a problem with it.

Quote:6. You go "Godwin" on any critics of Islam

Nope. But if people show bigotry against Muslim people themselves, then that obviously should be seen just as bad as antisemitism.

Quote:7. You immediately lump all critics of Islam in with the neo-cons.

Nope.

Quote:8. You believe in free speech "but..."

People can be bigoted bigot all they like. But I have a right to free speech as well, right? Or is there a but here somewhere?

Quote:9. You suggest the problem with Islamic extremism is "extremism", not Islam.

Addressed above. Not reasonable to look at these things in such a narrow-minded way. Plus, the majority of Muslims are not even extremists.

Quote:10. You're a cultural and moral relativist.

Nope. But I advocate at least basic respect and dignity for Muslims, Christians, Jews, and atheists. Their adherence to a certain major religion should not be a reason to be bitter towards them just because you're ignorant about the causes of violence and extremism. And frankly, bigotry and prejudice against Muslim people specifically (rather than just rage directed towards those who actually are terrorists) is what I notice a lot in real life, in the media, and on a few occasions, here as well.
Deleted post
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Popcorn
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 3, 2016 at 5:20 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: I think coming to an atheist forum criticising "Islamophilia" is the wrong place. Atheists, on the whole, are very vocal critics of Islam

You don't get the "joke"?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 3, 2016 at 6:18 pm)abaris Wrote:
(June 3, 2016 at 5:20 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: I think coming to an atheist forum criticising "Islamophilia" is the wrong place. Atheists, on the whole, are very vocal critics of Islam

You don't get the "joke"?
Oh dear...

haha well don't mind my half-asleep ass ;3

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie