Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You're borrowing from my worldview" and "The Christian worldview accounts for..."
"You're borrowing from my worldview" and "The Christian worldview accounts for..."
If there was a Hell, it would be too good for the apologists who have convinced Christians that these are good arguments.

Them: "My Christian worldview is the only one that coherently accounts for Logic and Morality."

Me: "I don't care about your worldview.  A worldview is just an explanation and has no bearing on what is actually true."

Them: "Ah, but how does your worldview account for Truth?"

Me: "Truth is just a word meaning something that comports with reality."

Them: "A-HA! But your materialist worldview can't account for intangibles like Truth.  Can you fill a bucket with Truth?"

Me: "Truth is a word, an abstraction, not a substance."

Them: "Then Logic is just an abstraction?  Are you saying Logic didn't exist before humans?"

Me: "Yes, because humans developed logic, but the reality it was built upon existed before humans."

Them: "So humans can change the laws of logic according to your worldview?"

Me: "Humans can make mistakes in logic but they can't change axiomatic reality."

Them: "Whose reality?"

Me: "Is there more than one?"

Them: "My knowledge of reality comes from revelation from God.  Where does yours come from?"

Me: "How does that work?  Do you just assume all of your opinions are a revelation from God?"

Them: "NO SIR, my arguments are perfectly reasonable within the Christian worldview."

Me: "I don't CARE about your worldview.  Please answer my question of how you know your opinions equate to divine knowledge."

Them: "The absurdity of the contrary.  My Christian worldview is the only one that accounts for Truth."

Me: "Fuck you."
RE: "You're borrowing from my worldview" and "The Christian worldview a...
List of the logical fallacies this "argument" uses:

Argument from Ignorance: You can't explain the laws of logic, therefore GodDidIt
Argument from Incredulity: I can't imagine how else we could explain the laws of logic.
Bare Assertion: Yahweh's existence accounts for the laws of logic
Circular Reasoning: By assuming Yahweh's existence, we can account for the laws of logic, which is how we reason Yahweh exists.
Tu Quoque: Everybody has presuppositions. You believe in science. I believe in Jesus. So we're even. 
Special Pleading: None of the other gods account for the laws of logic.
Shifting the Burden of Proof: You can't account for the laws of logic.
Raising the Bar: Account for why we use reason without using reason.*
Non Sequitur: You don't know everything, therefore Jesus. 

* Science delivers the goods. "That's saying it works because it works which is circular reasoning". No, independent and repeatable tests isn't circular reasoning anymore than footnoting a book is circular because you're using a book to prove a different book. 

Also, treating the "Laws of Logic" as if they were a force in the universe as opposed to observations of how reality works is a faulty assumption. 

Finally, GodDidIt, GodWillsIt, GodIsIt, GodVerbIt doesn't help us understand anything.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
RE: "You're borrowing from my worldview" and "The Christian worldview a...
I've heard this argument before. I say that just because I agree with some of the things espoused in the bible, doesn't mean I agree with all of it. Overlap doesn't really matter much, because some of the most fundamental aspects of Christianity, as well as other religions, are things I just can't agree on.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: "You're borrowing from my worldview" and "The Christian worldview accounts for..."
I agree! I like this shortcut:

"If your worldview involves me bowing to your leader, you can keep it, whether it's true or not."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2748 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1048 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism isn't a worldview, but Fred 59 11612 September 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  Christian worldview explains logic? searchingforanswers 36 12929 July 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Violet