Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:46 am

Poll: What did Trump say about Mexicans?
This poll is closed.
They're rapists
20.00%
1 20.00%
Their rapists
80.00%
4 80.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's Grammar
Trump's Grammar
Question on Trump's Grammar
(Seriously, I really want to know)

OK, perhaps a bit of nit-picking here but my compulsively over-analytical mind can't help it. Much has been discussed about Trump's racism and in particular, his sweeping generalization about Mexican immigrants. Anyone familiar with my posts knows of my contempt for Trump and my fears that anyone so psychotic could get his tiny fingers near the button. There is no doubt about his racism and his carnival barking nonsense. All that said, I just want to ask, in reference to Mexican immigrants:

Did Trump say, "...THEY'RE rapists..." 
or did he say, "...THEIR rapists..."

Admittedly, this is a bit of nit-picking here, since either statement is ridiculous, but I really like to be disciplined about my criticism of another. It's really important to be precise. Well, it's important to me when I debate anyway.

The assumption has been that Trump said "...They're rapists..." as in saying that Mexicans, or perhaps just their immigrants to America, are rapists. However, in context, I think he was trying to say "...their rapists..." as in "Mexico isn't sending their best, they're bringing crime, drugs, [and they're bringing] their rapists..."

Seriously, I really think he was trying to say that Mexico is sending over their rapists to America. I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, whether it's in some nefarious conspiracy hatched at the highest levels of their government or somehow other social forces are pressuring all the rapists in Mexico to move to America. Regardless, I think he was being a crackpot conspiracy theorist at that moment rather than making a statement about all Mexicans.

I don't know for sure. Either way, it's silly, which may be why nobody's asked for clarification. Maybe even Trump doesn't remember what his point was.

Discuss, if you feel the compulsion as I do.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
RE: Trump's Grammar
Their would make more sense.

He wouldn't say "They are rapists....and some I assume are good people."

Unless he thinks that some of all of those rapists are good people.

I think when he talks about sending them over he's talking about manuals given to Mexicans funded by the government which basically say, don't cross illegally please, but if you do here's the safest way to do it and where to go once you do get into America.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

He has a great brain and is very smart. He says so himself. And he has a great temperament, uugly great. So obviously he meant "they're sending "their" rapists. I'm sure there is a check at the border. Are you a violent felon? Well okay then. Law abiding Mexican? Nope, you stay right here.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Comedy skit in my head:

"Did you bring the drugs?"
"Si"
"Did you bring the rapists?"
(Pause)... "Que?"
"The rapists. Did you bring the rapists?"
(Pause) "Um"
"You didn't even bring one rapist with you?"
"No."
"Go home. Don't come back until you bring some rapists."
"Sheesh, it really is hard to get into this country."
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
He said "they send us..." so I think the only logical answer would be "their rapists".
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 11, 2016 at 6:14 pm)Jenny A Wrote: He has a great brain and is very smart. He says so himself. And he has a great temperament,  uugly great.  So obviously he meant "they're sending "their" rapists.   I'm sure there is a check at the border.   Are you a violent  felon?  Well okay then.  Law abiding Mexican? Nope,  you stay right here.

He also knows a lot of words. In fact, he knows all the words.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Lier, corrupted, rich, sucker, rapeist, sexist, xenophobic, crooked, establishment --- yep he knows all the words.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Maybe he meant therapists?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 11, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Losty Wrote: He said "they send us..." so I think the only logical answer would be "their rapists".

Here's the actual quote:

'When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best.They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

'Their' makes no sense in the context of the full remark. Trump clearly meant 'They are rapists'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 11, 2016 at 10:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Losty Wrote: He said "they send us..." so I think the only logical answer would be "their rapists".

Here's the actual quote:

'When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best.They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

'Their' makes no sense in the context of the full remark. Trump clearly meant 'They are rapists'.

Boru

It doesn't grammatically make sense for their rapists to be there but that's most likely what he means.

He's either saying they are rapists and some of those rapists are good people.

Or he maybe saying they are rapists not meaning it literally and he's talking about the rape statistics of women coming into America from Mexico.

Or the sentence is a little garbled and their rapists is in relation to who they are sending over, they're not sending their best they're sending their rapists.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1068 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36928 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3172 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Trump's election bad for Trump's businesses? Jehanne 22 4156 November 15, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: CWoods
  Donald Trump's doctor regrets saying "Trump will be the healtheist president" ReptilianPeon 3 1691 August 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Stephen Colbert...Trump Debates Trump Minimalist 2 1278 January 30, 2016 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Chad32