Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“If ideas exist and are not material than a non-material/spiritual world may also exi
“If ideas exist and are not material than a non-material/spiritual world may also exi
I have heard that most atheists are materialists in that they believe the universe consists of a material realm only and that therefore there are no realms beyond matter that one could label as potentially supernatural or spiritual. But ideas exist and are beyond the material realm. In fact ideas seem to be more real, or at least more powerful, than the material realm in that they control and manipulate the material realm. Since ideas exist beyond the material realm doesn't that suggest the likelihood of a spiritual/non-material realm of existence and very possibly the existence of an omnipotent Creator who is also beyond the material realm of existence?
RE: “If ideas exist and are not material than a non-material/spiritual world may also exi
(August 9, 2010 at 7:08 am)rybak303 Wrote: I have heard that most atheists are materialists in that they believe the universe consists of a material realm only and that therefore there are no realms beyond matter that one could label as potentially supernatural or spiritual. But ideas exist and are beyond the material realm. In fact ideas seem to be more real, or at least more powerful, than the material realm in that they control and manipulate the material realm. Since ideas exist beyond the material realm doesn't that suggest the likelihood of a spiritual/non-material realm of existence and very possibly the existence of an omnipotent Creator who is also beyond the material realm of existence?

Haven't you done this question in a slightly oblique form some where else??

Cut n paste is a bitch eh??Tiger
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: “If ideas exist and are not material than a non-material/spiritual world may also exi
(August 9, 2010 at 7:08 am)rybak303 Wrote: I have heard that most atheists are materialists in that they believe the universe consists of a material realm only and that therefore there are no realms beyond matter that one could label as potentially supernatural or spiritual. But ideas exist and are beyond the material realm. In fact ideas seem to be more real, or at least more powerful, than the material realm in that they control and manipulate the material realm. Since ideas exist beyond the material realm doesn't that suggest the likelihood of a spiritual/non-material realm of existence and very possibly the existence of an omnipotent Creator who is also beyond the material realm of existence?

Try having an idea or a thought without a brain, which is a material object.

So ideas are not beyond the material realm and therefore your preposition that this implies a spiritul/non materieal realm is a great big epic FAIL

[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Further to what Zen Badger said, even if ideas were part of a non-material realm, in no way does it follow that there would be an omnipotent Creator who is also beyond the material realm. It's all a big non-sequitur, supported by nothing but meaningless leaps and assumptions.
Oh. I responded in another one of Rybak's threads. This is the one I wanted to respond to.

As I said in the other, I'll wait until Rybak comes back.

Even if that were true, science can only study, by nature, describe the materialistic world and can say nothing of anything else if it exists outside of that realm. The difference between theists and atheists on this subject is simple - theists choose to fill the gap of the unknown with fantasy and atheists choose not to make leaps of faith based on baseless conjecture.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3103 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1865 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1034 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1038 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2752 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1984 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5775 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3971 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3660 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek