Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WarCrack
WarCrack

Just wondering how many of you play World of Warcraft?
"A man who keeps one eye on the past is blind in one eye. A man who ignores the past is blind in both."
RE: WarCrack
I haven't. And I haven't played "WarCrack" either. I've played Warcraft II and III though.
hehe, Warcrack is its nick name, on account of it just as addictive as crack Tongue
"A man who keeps one eye on the past is blind in one eye. A man who ignores the past is blind in both."
Surely you mean almost as addictive, heh.

By the way... you claimed on the Banned Thread that I haven't done enough gaming on the internet.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I've done way too much.

I started internet gaming when I was 12 years old.... I started from doing 4-8 hours a day on the weekdays and 6-10 hours on the weekends every day playing AoC a.ka. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings: The Conquerors Expansion (pack), to then doing really consistently 8 hours a day weekdays and 10 hours a day weekends every day.... until I was about 16 years of age, where I then spent a year and a half playing Call of Duty 2 for 16 hours a day every day. I didn't leave the house on my own until I was about 18 and a half years old. I spent age 12-17 and a half indoors playing video games basically. I hardly ever went out - and if I did it was usually (specifically) shopping with my family that I found so boring I went out even less with them. I wouldn't call that not doing enough gaming. I'd call it a tad too much maybe. 1337 speak I learnt from the moments respite I would have from playing the game and instead maybe actually chatting to people. I only occasionally actually chatted with other players. I'd much rather usually pretend they didn't exist so I could focus on my sheer love of the game, and not the players.

I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that I had an 8 week psychotic episode after losing my computer after my CoD2 gaming romp from age 16-17 and a half. One of the reasons I would say was cold turkey. It's not a physical dependence, but it's an obsession to the extent a gambling obsession can be. Only it's 100% free so you can obviously afford do it much more.

My teenage years of internet gaming were the most psychologically unhealthy years of my life. They were also by far the most enjoyable and I still extremely miss the sheer love I had for my life back in those good old gaming days of mine.

I understand where you are coming from dude. I too had some severe addictions to games when I was younger.

I think that anything that you enjoy (such as games, drink, drugs whatever your poison) MUST be taken in moderation or it will end up ruling your life. Thank fully I have a full time job (45+ hours a week) so I simply cant spend all day playing games anymore Tongue

One of the weird things about WoW….. I stopped playing about 3 months ago (bought a house and have to much to do on it so I just don’t have time to play after work) but I still log in every week or so. I don’t play the game, I just log in to catch up with my guildies and talk to the people I've played with for the last 5 years. Its not the game I miss, it’s the community we built inside of the game that draws me back.
What's funny is I thought that it was the community that I missed... and then when I started chatting to people I realized it was just the game.... the people are just more interesting and challenging opponents than the computer.

I fucking hate moderation (I'm not talking about forum moderation of course) and I love excess. I think my life is a battle between health and happiness. When I was least healthy both mentally and physically I was the most happy.

I hate balance.

I hate "the middle road". I find it so boring as fuck. Going no where, neither here nor there....

When it comes to rationality I think in moderation....

When it comes to emotions... I love extremes.

Intellectually I would hope I am not a black and white thinker.

Morally I would also hope I am not a black or white thinker.

As for my own desires, lusts and ambitions I absolutely am a black and white thinker and I really can't seem help it.

I fucking love obsession. And that's my problem. It's extra hard to escape obsession when it's obsession itself that's your obsession.
(August 11, 2010 at 6:51 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I fucking love obsession. And that's my problem. It's extra hard to escape obsession when it's obsession itself that's your obsession.

Man thats deep.

I can understand your point of view, one of my childhood friends had a similar world view. He’s spent his whole life battling against a string of different obsession and vices. He has come out on top, though it is never easy for him.

Its sadly not something I can relate to personally as I genuinely do believe in what I said in my last post. I believe in moderation. We are by nature impulsive creatures, I guess I just think its best to try and control my wants and desires than be slave to them. This comes from experiences in my life that I don’t want to repeat, I have to fight my own obsessions lest it happens again.

I guess that’s one of the reasons we are as a species so interesting. So similar, yet so different! Smile
When it comes to my own enjoyment I find compromise is the enemy.

I understand that for the sake of morality, rationally, and my own health... compromise is necessary.

But if I am to really enjoy the short time I have on this planet I find no bigger enemy than moderation and compromise. Because I'm so insatiable, nothing but total obsession satisfies me. And when obsession isn't expressed there on the outside it gets even stronger and more obsessive in the inside - inside my head.

I think perhaps there's a reason why I'm on 600mg of lithium mood stabilizer besides the 8 week psychotic episode I had and the fact it takes years to reduce the medication. At least it's so far been reduced from 800mg though... although that was partly due to my weight loss. I miss my obsessive extremely happy days where I was never ever bored or apathetic and always enthusiastic. Now my default state is boredom and/or apathy.

In one way my life is the best its ever been now. I'm at my healthiest mentally and physically.

In another way I think it's not as good because I miss the fact I am not so full of sheer enthusiasm and love of life any more. I feel mentally very old now even if I'm actually 22 just next month.
You have clearly been through some rough times mate.

All I can say in reply is that I firmly believe in the old adage “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger”

You will undoubtedly have carried away some valuable lessons from your experiences, that will hopefully set you in good stead for the rest of your life.
U.S. server Madoran. LVL 64 Death Knight Jake Blooz is my main.
The one thing everybody needs to remember is that I never claimed to be sane!